Chapter 52: Was It?

She came in, looking up at me with those familiar, chinita eyes that she loved to put winged eyeliner on, except her eyes were puffy right now. Her bewilderment I could smell filling the whole room and it was so weird, because the last time we talked I broke up with her and she also agreed to end our relationship. We didn't even pretend to want friendship after all that was over, but now she's looking at me like she'd just seen a ghost.

"Oh my God, you're really. . ." Lee Anne reached out and touched my cheek. Her other hand she pressed flat on my chest, like she's checking for a heartbeat. Her eyes roamed the room, taking in the stunned faces of Champion and Mossberg who must be thinking that I left a girlfriend back home.

"What's the matter?" I asked, staring at her misty eyes. She shook her head, biting her lips like she's fighting the urge to scream and she's barely keeping it in.

"Can I talk to you alone? Please?"

I glanced at my mom who sighed with a raised eyebrow and Champion threw me a questioning look before he and Mossberg stood up and headed for the door. It was a miracle that my Mom didn't say anything.

"Let's go to the common room, Tita. I'll introduce you to the dorm head and the caretakers," Champion said. Once they were out and the door was closed behind them, I heard my mom telling Champion that she was sure Lee Anne and I were long over. It was the truth, so I couldn't figure the reason why she's acting like this.

After a while, Lee Anne sank to the door and cried while hiding her face from me. I sat down on my bed, waiting for her to compose herself, but she looked at me with a tear-stricken face.

"You died, Genesis. That's what they told me!"

"What?Fake news, Anne. Who's crazy enough to make up stories about my death? It only happens to celebrities," I scoffed, totally clueless. She's getting hysterical. We've known each other for a long time but I've never seen her get that emotional. 

"No. . . Remember that night? We were drinking near Rizal? Michelle was there, and Harold and Jimboy! I was too wasted to clearly recall what happened but I was sure you died!"

I wet my lips, trying to remember that night but nothing came. I remember the place, the specific spot she was talking about but I don't remember us drinking there. It was just me and every time I try to picture my old friends in there, my head goes blank, as if forcefully scrubbed clean and vacuumed spotless.

"Okay, Lee Anne," I said calmly, standing up to give her a glass of water. "Okay, let's say I died. So did you guys kill me?"

She shook her head. I also grabbed the box of tissue paper on my table and placed it by her side.

"I was hit by a bicycle right?" I asked, coaxing her with a gentle smile.

But again, she shook her head. 

"I don't know. I don't know, but I didn't kill you. I was drunk too but I know this much, I had nothing to do with it. I wouldn't be looking for you if I killed you."

Biting my bottom lip, I stared at the void to try and process what she's saying. It's obvious she didn't kill me. I don't remember ever giving her a reason to hate me enough to want to kill me. She's also too soft for that kind of crime.

"You disappeared but there was no wake, your mom didn't look like she was in mourning, it was so strange.  But I was afraid to show my face to Auntie for a long time so I avoided going to your neighborhood. I was afraid to confirm if you really died, or if I'm just going crazy."

"Why? What made you so sure, Lee Anne?"

"Because we left you dying! There was nobody there! Nobody!" she admitted, crying harder and kneeling by my feet. Strangely enough, I didn't feel anything except confusion and curiosity. Just like the distance I felt between me and my Mom when I woke up a vampire. It was like a death that has nothing to do with me at all. "Oh my god, we did something horrible. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Genesis. I was pissed at you, but I didn't want you to die. I begged the boys to take you to the hospital because maybe you're still breathing but they're afraid to be involved with the police. We ran. We left you dying. . .oh my god, we deserve to go to jail. Sorry. I am so sorry, Genesis!"