Chapter 61: Not exactly engkanto.

No one was at the foyer when Mossberg came in. The trashcan looked at the trash on the center table longingly so Mossberg picked them up and threw them in the trashcan right by the staircase before sprinting up to Champion’s room. He knew that Champion wasn’t home. He’d been spotted by people going all over the accountancy department and talking to Austin’s friends. He told their teammates he’s busy. Their teammates were grumbling but Mossberg no longer cared about what they thought about Champion. He already told him that nothing else matters but winning. If they win, those discontented assholes will shut up. Besides, after what happened earlier with Miss Danni, he might have lost his respect towards his seniors at the team and maybe lost his enthusiasm for swimming too.

On the other hand, Mossberg didn’t expect Champion to have such an uptight mindset when it comes to competitions. Back when they first met, Champion didn’t talk about winning as much as he did now. Their teammates were right, in a way. Back then, he was more laidback and swimming with him was so much fun. Like swimming with sea lions.

He stopped right in front of the room and knocked. There was no answer. He took off the key that he wore as a necklace and quickly opened the door, barging in as if hurrying would make any difference. It’s been hours since Genesis called. He might not even be here anymore. The good thing about the delay, though, was that it settled Mossberg’s rattled brain and he was calmer now.

“Magnum?” he said, slowly inching towards the bed in the dark. He’s in Champion’s bed, tucked in properly. Conrad narrowed his eyes and the two of them looked at each other. “I don’t care, Conrad. Let’s go.”

He knelt by the bed and pressed his face right next to Genesis’ face. Nothing. Just like when his grandma died. She looked like she was just sleeping but when he hugged her, she’s cold and rigid, like a human made of clay.

The lump in his throat choked him. It was unbelievable. Genesis should live forever. He’s living in a world which was real and wasn’t at the same time. This kind of development was unimaginable.

“I know a place you’ll like, Magnum. Come with us, we’ll take you there,” he whispered, slipping his hand carefully, and very, very gently, underneath Genesis’ neck. Mossberg held the corpse’s nape like it was the most fragile thing in the world as he painstakingly took all the care into carrying him into his arms.

Something must have  flipped inside Mossberg’s head and he’s braver now. He’s determined to give Genesis his last wish.

Conrad asked him about Champion, what he would do if he discovered Genesis’ body gone. He might take this the wrong way if they take Genesis away without telling him when they knew that Champion had been here. Mossberg didn’t answer and only went out the door while carrying the body, now wrapped in sheets, that it only looked like he’s carrying too much laundry. 

Conrad lingered back but Mossberg still didn’t answer. He didn't look back nor stopped to wait for him. Realizing that Mossberg was in his stubborn mode, Conrad floated down the hallway to catch up to him and followed him outside, deciding not to ask any more questions.

Nobody stopped Mossberg. Nobody saw him leave, swallowed by the bright parade that transcended the halls and the walls of the university.

*

Mossberg found himself standing at the fringe of the woods where the parade went. He couldn’t take another step because Conrad said so. The music and the lights were gone, as if it never existed in the first place.

“Hello?” Mossberg called out. He looked around. People were loitering in the plaza and some were having a picnic nearby. It was the usual scenery. The only thing that wasn’t right was the living person carrying a corpse and waiting for the go-signal from an imaginary octopus.