Chapter 47: Let It Rot

An idea suddenly dawned on me, like a frying pan falling on my face, that I my eyes shot open just to stare blankly at the cobweb on the ceiling. If I manage to work it out, I wouldn't have to bug Champion and I'd have a valid reason to stay out most nights without it looking like I was avoiding him. Because let's get real: I am on the verge of crossing some line that I'm not supposed to and this one's different. It would cost me my friends and Austin.

Why is this even a struggle?

"Had an awakening or something?" Raphael's tired voice came from behind my seat in the common room and I pushed my head further back to see him upside-down, nursing a mug of steaming instant 3n1 coffee.

"Something like that," I answered, kinda wary. He came forward and sat on the sofa across from mine, grunting like an old man. "Just woke up?"

"Yes. Hell of a thesis, man. We've been running around like cats on catnip and there isn't even one freerider among us, we're all on it, but we're still struggling," he complained, rubbing his eyes with a thumb and index finger. The dark shadows under his eyes were like reversed color half moons.

"You're making me have second thoughts," I said with the tiniest smile, observing his expressions and his movements for hints of pretension. He seemed to have completely forgotten what happened between the two of us in this room.

"Freshmen are so fucking lucky." He stopped and looked me over and then he chuckled. "Except you. Ever since the first day we met you've always looked like a barely graduating student running on coffee."

"Savage."

"It's the truth."

"I'm gonna graduate Summa Cum Laude and thank my insomnia for that."

"Let's see," he said before blowing smoke from his coffee and carefully sipping on it. "Ahh, what a nightmare, college."

We continued our mindless exchange until Raphael finished his coffee and he excused himself, leaving me all alone in the common room.

Champion sent me a text: "Where are you?"

Me: Downstairs. Giving you guys privacy. lol

Champion: Come. :)

Me: No. Maybe. Later.

I heard him sigh.

I wish I had somewhere else to go during the daytime. It would be good to hang out by myself too, if only I could find an appropriate place for that. I've been thinking of going to Lorenzo's but their house was the antique kind, with wide windows and too much sunlight. They were accommodating but there were too many of them in one house and children are inherently curious. They would be watching my every move. I'd be outed in no time.

Scrolling through my contacts, I found Mr. Sakay's number and dialed it before I lost my reckless confidence.

"Hello? Hello! Hey pups, keep it down, Daddy's on the phone!""

I wonder who's noisier, him or Mossberg.

"Hello, Mr. Sakay? This is Genesis, that guy---"

"With a pretty trap date! Yes! I know you. How can I be of service?!"

I winced. His voice over the phone could sting your eardrums and leave you deaf after one phone call. So I went straight to the point.

"Could you please teach me how to drive?"

"Ha?"

"Please teach me how to drive a car."

He'd gone silent so I waited until he spoke again. I could hear a television in the background and voices of little kids fighting over something before a woman's voice threatened them to "stop screaming or else".