Chapter 27: Unhinged

Someone was already knocking on our door minutes after Champion went out for his early morning routine. It was unusual because as famous as Champion was, he really meant it when he told me our dorm room was his only peace in the whole university grounds. Even our neighbors left us alone and their interactions only happen in the common room. It would be flattering if I, or my condition, was part of the reason why our room wasn't as accessible to outsiders as the other rooms. Or maybe just like me, Champion also didn't have a lot of friends to come over and hang out.

Now that I think about it, I realize I don't know much of Champion's social life as much as he knew mine. I guess that's one factor why he's manlier than me.

When I opened the door, pretending that I was annoyed for being roused by the knocking, Depp was standing there, fidgeting and smiling sheepishly. He's big, but narrower than Champion, a little bit on the plumpier side too. We're about the same height but he had the kind of body with weird proportions like a narrow, droopy shoulders, wide hips and long awkward limbs. His face looked like a clueless baby. I mean, a sweating, clueless baby with a clean-shaven face in a nurse uniform.

"Hey, I'm. . .JD? Depp? Uhm. . ."

"Yeah, I remember you," I said, stepping out and closing our room. It was wrong, manner-wise, but even if Champion didn't particularly warn me about letting people in, I still imagine his approval of my action. "What's up man?"

"Uh, thank you for helping me the other day," he said, trying to or not quite meeting my eyes. I stared at him, taking in his hesitant posture and the erratic heartbeat under his visibly heaving chest.

I sighed, trying to soften my expression so he would also relax and stop fumbling with himself like a kid who was caught red-handed. He's older so technically he could get away with looking down on me and I would still think he's just being reasonable because of his seniority. There was no need to feel all anxious in front of a freshman laughing stock, I wanted to tell him but of course we're not close.

"No problem there, man. You guys needed help and I just happened to be there. It's cool. How 'bout you? You alright?"

He nodded and slipped his hand inside the pocket of his white uniform.

"Here, as promised." He handed me a thin stack of one thousand peso bills, a little bit more than the amount I paid for his hospital visit.

"There's excess, man," I said, grinning at him. I would hate to accept it when I knew he's having a hard time stretching his allowance to reach the end of the month. "You can even pay me half, I won't mind. I mean, if you're tight on budget."

"Aww, man, no problem. My parents gave me extra," he said, smiling at me. I wanted to tell him to chill because I don't care about his preference nor about the reason why he got injured in the first place. I kept my mouth shut and lifted my hand to receive the money. "Consider the excess as a thank you gift."

"Alright, if you say so," I answered but before I could touch the money, he pulled my wrist and placed the money on my palm with the other. It happened faster than me realizing what he intended to do. He lifted his injured arm to his mouth and bit off the scab of his injury, the smell and the anticipation of blood automatically drawing my fangs out from my gums.

His eyes opened wide in confirmation as he looked at me and I immediately pushed him off before my instincts overrode my logic. He staggered to the wall of the room across mine but he quickly regained his footing. He bolted.

"Fuck it, Depp," I growled, covering my nose, staring after him with predatory eyes.

He was running away before I could grab him and I didn't risk chasing after him. Dazed, I fumbled with the doorknob and retreated inside our room with the money still clutched inside my fist. I sat on my bed with all the feeling of betrayal swirling inside my head, coursing through my veins and tickling the tips of my fingers as my sharp nails dug through my mattress.