Chapter 18: Bored

Champion's still snoring lightly when I got back so I stealthily moved around to avoid waking him up. I took a quick shower, made a mug of strong coffee and went back to my projects that I left on the table. Austin's phone was still on the table so I picked it up, sniffed it before shoving it inside my backpack.

One reason why I chose my course was the black blazer uniform. Other courses only have short-sleeved button-up shirts in lighter colors which doesn't help with my current complexion. Even if the blazer seemed passable, I'm not a uniform kind of guy so usually I sneak into my classes wearing civilian clothes and earning disapproving looks from my professors. I only wear it in the classes with the stiffest professors who would threaten to mark us absent if we're not in complete uniform. It's not like I'm the only one though. Even Austin gets in trouble most of the time for not wearing her uniform and it was kind of the reason why I noticed her in the first place. An excellent student that's also an outlaw is just fucking badass.

I stared at my blazer and sighed before proceeding to iron it stiff until it stood on its own. Whenever I'm in uniform I feel so stupid instead.

"What time is it?" Champion asked sluggishly without opening his eyes.

"It's fifteen minutes to six," I answered.

"Ahh," he muttered and went quiet again.

He's always so conscious about time, as if it's gonna run out if he accidentally slept in. That's why I had asked permission to do his laundry and do all the cleaning in our dorm so he wouldn't have to worry about running out of clothes whenever he stays cooped up in the engineering laboratory. It's more of a service to my guilty self, because I used to be a slacker who took my studies for granted when there's Champion who doesn't do anything half-assed and studies well while sending Freebie to school too.

He could make a person feel tired just by watching him juggle a part-time job, his varsity practice and his final projects. I just hope he gets enough rest to keep himself from getting sick from overfatigue.

I turned to my open laptop and played the Ethereal playlist. It's something I play when I feel like "listening to music but I'm not too happy about it but maybe I'm about to feel happy when I hear the right song". Ethereal was just a word that popped up while I was assembling the list.

And then I mumbled my report on the Natural Science subject while organizing the books inside my backpack. My Tuesday class starts at nine so I have so much time to kill. And as the seniors always tell me, freshman year is still the easiest part because we only take the general education studies so we can always take it easy.

But I'm starting to get bored.

*

"Let's eat lunch together."

I proposed when I found Austin sitting alone in the study hall. He looked up at me and said nothing so I placed his phone on the table next to his books as I sat down across his place.

"You're hungry?" he asked.

"No. But I can pretend to eat while you eat your lunch. Please? I'm so bored and I can't wait til six to see you."

Austin frowned but his cheeks began to redden. And then he snorted, suppressing a laugh that made him teary.

"You always look like an idiot in that uniform," he said after a while. I laughed because I know what he's talking about. He, on the other hand, looks exactly like how a student should look. His carefully messed up hair fixed in an intentionally messy bun, he's wearing light makeup under a huge black-framed eyeglasses and his uniform made him look smarter. A pretty little nerd.