Chapter 58: Going around, asking girls for help.

Nothing will happen if they just sit around and take turns asking each other what to do so Champion decided to call Frederick Dalton. He’s the only person he ever saw Nurgis with, which would mean that he’s acting as the guardian for his teenager form. He told him to wait outside because letting him in might finally arouse suspicion, which will make it even harder to sneak Genesis out from the dorm. But it was still the least of his concerns right now. 

Thankfully, Genesis’ body retained its form. So far. It has been almost an hour since they found him. What he feared most earlier was the thought that he might evaporate into thin air, turn to ashes or maybe just disappear as if he never existed at all.

“Have you calmed down?” Champion asked Nurgis after he ended his call with Dalton. His own voice sounded larger than his room’s suffocating atmosphere but it also felt hollow in his chest.

“Did you tell him to come get me?”

“Yes, I did. He’ll wait outside.” His gentle tone towards Nurgis surprised him. The other vampire’s appearance must have grown on him in such a short time that he finally resigned to talking to him like how he would to a real upset child.

Nurgis nodded but he still refused to move from his spot. He’s been clawing at his arm for a while and keeping his head down, no doubt avoiding looking at Genesis.

What Champion really wanted was to reprimand Nurgis for treating Genesis like a disgusting dead animal. It came along as offensive. It frustrated him to see how repulsed Nurgis was, as if being in the same room as a dead body was enough to contaminate his soulless existence. If it was just Nurgis and Genesis, would the older vampire just wrap the body with a blanket and throw it into the river?

Or was it a vampire’s normal reaction? If only Benedetta was here to guide him.

When Champion’s phone rang, he immediately stood up while picking up the call. Dalton said he was outside. He opened the door, gently leading Nurgis out by clamping a hand on his delicate nape. A part of him wanted to grip harder and break that neck for acting like a complete whiny asshole but he held back. He’s not strong enough yet. This boy shuffling slowly right next to him was still a vampire whose strength greatly surpasses that of Genesis. He’ll have to be patient.

Dalton stood outside, and with his usual black suit while holding a wide, black umbrella, he looked like a man attending a funeral. No wonder they call him Totoro, aside from the image with the umbrella, he’s really built like one. Agile too, and his subtle movements delicate, despite his size.

“You’ve been crying,” he commented when he approached Nurgis. He ran his huge thumb on the boy’s cheek, wiping away the streak of tears. “What’s wrong?”

When Nurgis didn’t reply, he looked at Champion.

“Did something bad happen?”

Champion clenched his teeth, a lump forming in his throat, but he forced the words out.

“Genesis is dead,” he said in a strained voice after glancing around, confirming that nobody was within earshot.

Dalton’s brow creased, like he’d eaten something nasty but still trying to chew it to identify what he’d put in his mouth. He patiently glanced at Nurgis and then back to Champion again.

“This can’t be right,” he muttered. Nurgis wrapped his arms on the big man’s waist, burying his face on his chest. “Darling, what do you know about this? What do we do with Genesis?”

“Just take him home for now. He’s in shock,” Champion said. Dalton stared at him for far longer than necessary. “What?”

“Will you be okay? You don’t look so fine.” There was genuine concern in his voice and that shattered Champion’s composure.