Chapter 19: Touch

Going out with Austin isn't so much different from hanging out with him when we first became friends. I'd sneak into their house and we'd sit inside his room in silence. He'd be reading his books while I read mine, we'd say a few remarks, ask questions and then we'd immediately fall silent. But I don't hate it. It's not an awkward silence. I appreciate having him next to me and he's also comfortable with my presence so these are the times that I don't have to force myself to tell him stories about random things just to have something to talk about.

And then he'd usually crash in our dorm room during our free time. It's a better place to rest than just sitting for an hour in the study hall. At least in our room he can nap comfortably if he wants to. And he would. No sore butts to complain about.

Champion's been busier than ever so we seldom see each other. He'd be home but then I'd be somewhere else. When I'm home, he's out in the pool, or to his job and all sorts of places. I can't even remember him being around whenever I bring in Austin to hangout in our room. Too bad because I imagined it would be merrier with the three of us.

"What if I just ask permission from your parents?" I asked Austin while he's sitting at the corner of his room and furiously typing on his phone with his lightning fast thumbs.

I'm sprawled on the carpeted floor, cutting letters and cute shapes for his scrapbook. He decided to make one when he found out that I can cut different fonts and basically knows how to properly use the scissors.

"Permission to marry me?" he asked and not a hint of sarcasm. There are times when he runs out of energy to act angry and antagonistic and I make sure to make the most of it.

"I wish. Will you?"

"Is that all you can do? Put some back into it. Or you're thinking I only deserve a random and effortless proposal?" he asked, lifting his face to look at me with a raised eyebrow. I gaped at him before I scrambled to my feet and kneeled right in front of him.

"Will you---?" I asked, almost screaming at his face. And then it dawned on me that I don't have a ring for the occasion so I took off the stainless steel band on my middle finger. "Will you marry me?!"

"No," he said flatly but grabbed my ring and tried it on his fingers. It didn't fit, even on his thumb, but he smiled mischievously as he slipped it in his pocket.

That was mind blowing. I was speechless until I realized I've been gaping for too long.

"Then why did you bring it up?"

"You talked to me about permissions and parents."

"I meant 'ask' their permission to visit you. So I don't have to sneak around like a burglar."

"If you teleport like last time, you won't have to."

"But I still don't know how to teleport. I've been trying to practice, but no improvements yet."

"You know that powers like that is like, your defense mechanism right? It's your ultimate skill. And you need it when you're in danger, so you have to master it."

"I know. . . But I wasn't in any danger that night. I was just thinking about you because you were crying and I wanted to give you a hug. If I don't discover the right conditions, I might never unlock that skill at will."

"That sucks," Austin pouted and began typing on his phone again. His long, brown hair fell to his face. "But please, don't talk to my parents okay? Nothing good will come out of it and believe me, they won't dislike you less even if you start sucking up to them."

"That's just sad. I don't want them to think that you're associating yourself with a guy like me."

"What exactly are you aside from being a no-ult vampire?"