Chapter 25. Exposed

It was official. I was the Unluckiest Guy in our university. Headlined, stamped, on-record.

Official.

The tale of the rich beauty and brains Austin Jade Ramirez and the poor guy Genesis Magno was featured in the school paper, my classmates gave interviews, the instructor was quoted and I was asked for my comment too, but I didn't open my mouth on anything. Austin advised me to keep my mouth shut and let him play that game.

So she honestly confessed that her parents don't approve of me but it didn't affect her feelings at all. She told the paper that "being in that situation was too cruel for two teenagers who were just trying to explore the world through each other's eyes." And that "forcibly separating two individuals because of the difference of their social status is a form of discrimination and therefore needed to be taken seriously by society."

Champion and I admitted it was cringe as hell but obviously, that was Austin's gameplan.

The only consolation was that the bodyguards served their purpose.

"Why is it that whenever it's about my misfortune, people in our department are so quick to jump ahead and tear my head off?" I ranted to Lorenzo and Clifford as our voices were drowned by Galileo Galilei. I agreed to go out with them after class in a place that resembled a club for anime fanatics. Or maybe it was really the purpose of the establishment. The speakers were blasting anime songs and several kids milled around with ahegao jackets or in elaborate cosplay.

"Uhm, because you got yourself  involved with a 2.5 goddess named Austin Jade Ramirez?" Clifford answered, laughing. He's drinking some milkshake sold as a mana potion and I'm drinking iced coffee. Perfect. More cold.

"So, what happened? What's with those bodyguards keeping you apart like some Romeo and Juliet shit?" Lorenzo asked. His eyes were busily darting from one maid to another, grinning like crazy.

"Her parents hate me, just like what it said on the paper," I said with a dry, humorless smile. Ever since Austin has been coming to school with his bodyguards, all I ever felt was the urge to cry. Remembering his sad face as he told me he missed me was enough to choke me.

"Fucked up," Clifford said, nodding. "Really bro, we're sorry we can't help with your predicament."

"You've helped me, guys. That's more than I could ever ask for," I told both of them sincerely. The note passing back in class that day yielded positive results. Austin and I could exchange messages while in that particular class and the instructor redeemed herself by specifically asking the bodyguards to never disrupt the class. And our classmates redeemed themselves to Austin by helping with the note passing so Lorenzo and Clifford wouldn't get suspicious by constantly going over to him.

I really was grateful to everybody and I made sure to let them know that in my own little way.

"So, we're friends right?" Lorenzo said while giving me a huge grin.

"Well, I guess we are."

"Then, when are you telling us about your. . . condition?" he whispered. My eyes went wide open and Clifford was smiling like he's a kid about to receive a new surprise gift.

"Condition?" I scoffed but in reality, Iwas one second away from bolting out of that place.

Lorenzo smiled, touching his tongue to his teeth where vampire fangs were supposed to grow out from.

"Fuck!" I said and stood up but they both held their arms up at the same time, shaking their heads.

"Kill us! I mean, I don't want to die just yet but if it makes you feel better, kill us man!" Clifford whispered while licking his lips and looking at me like he's really pleading for his life.