Chapter 22: Smoking Out A Vampire

The motorcycle ride was a fun experience if I wasn't too distracted by my aching ribs.

I crawled into my bed immediately after we arrived and hid myself under my unfamiliar blanket. It's just a prop that I obviously don't use but now I'm feeling the need to burrow deep and bury myself into something. Maybe if I stay as still as I can I might regenerate faster. 

"Hey. You're not gonna change into something comfy first?"

"Nah. Just leave me alone for a moment and I'll be fine."

"Gen, if you're not feeling well, you can tell me."

"Yes, I'm not feeling well, but you can't do anything about it man."

"You're right. Sorry," Champion answered. I heard the bathroom door close so I also closed my eyes so tight, hoping to fall asleep. Back when I was alive, every time I was sick I just hibernated. Sleep it off until I feel fine.

Just when I believed I was drifting away, my senses were once again assaulted by a wave of smell that instantly sent my fangs creeping out from my gums. Jumping off my bed and panting hard, my eyes surveyed our room for the source of blood. Loud droplets echoed all around me and that's when I noticed I'm salivating so much, not too different from a wild animal standing in front of a fresh carcass.

The bathroom door opened, revealing my panic-stricken roommate who only had on his boxers and his face still smeared white with a bit of shaving cream. In a blink, he'd closed the gap between us with several soundless strides.

"No, Gen! It's a trap! I smell it too!" Champion whispered while slowly coming up to me with his palms up to show that he's not a threat. I'm aware that he's not a threat because I am obviously the dangerous one in this room. We locked gazes but I quickly shifted my sight to the doorknob.  I must look fucking threatening for him to put up his guard like that. "Listen to me, Genesis. If it smells this strong, it must be intentional, do you understand what I'm saying?"

I only stared at him. I can hear and understand him perfectly but my mind can't seem to execute the simple commands for my body to do, with my brain focused solely on the prospect of food.

"Don't open that door," he said under his breath, but it was firm enough for me to take hold on.

"Blood. . ." was the only thing my mind allowed me to say.

"I know, all right? It smells too overpowering, even I could smell it  inside the bathroom. Why do you think that is, huh?" he whispered, reaching out to me. I inched backwards. "If you go out now, you'll have to own up to everything and whoever's outside won't hesitate to take you by force. So please, Genesis, don't open that door. Or I'll seriously hurt you."

My trembling hands went up to my dripping mouth as I tried to wipe it but the delicious smell and my hunger wouldn't let me keep my dignity in front of Champion. My saliva just kept on dripping from my mouth, down to my chin into my soaked chest.

"Shh," he whispered and closed the gap between us. He grabbed the shirt slung on his shoulder, the one he just took off, crumpled it and pressed it tightly on my face. My instinct kicked in and I clawed at him but his strong arm ignored my nails as he stepped right behind me to keep me from moving. Then he pulled me against him as his strong hand still covered my face with his damp-with-sweat shirt. Even if my body tries to wriggle and pull away, he's too sturdy and his left arm already gripped my left wrist so I can't scratch him.

When will this night end? 

Without my eyesight to distract me, my ears caught the sound of light footsteps right outside our door. They don't smell anything except for their subtle body odors. Three men. My breathing hitched but Champion kept on shushing on my ear.