Chapter 15: Surprise Motherfucker

"What were you thinking, Ms. Ramirez? Do you have the slightest idea about the possible outcome of what you just made him do? Why'd you have to challenge him like that when you're painfully aware that this guy's an idiot!" I heard Champion's angry voice but all I can see is black. He's stringing so many words in so many complicated sentences that I can't imagine myself saying and he didn't even bite his tongue once. That's the Champion for you. "You didn't even tell him to stop! You just froze there and watched him burn! What if he caught fire?!"

That. My sentiments exactly.

"I. . . I didn't think he's that stupid!" It was Austin's boy voice. "And why the fuck are you yelling at me? I don't owe you shit!"

"Fu-fuck?!"

If I wasn't too beat up, I would have laughed out loud. It was finally his turn to be astounded by Austin's big reveal.

"Surprise, motherfucker," Austin said in his best scornful way of talking. He reverts to his masculine side whenever he's agitated and Champion manages to drive him into a wall. "Y-you know he's a vampire now so you should know that I'm a guy and we're not going out! So he really shouldn't have acted that way!" Austin shouted defensively.

Champion was quiet for quite some time before he finally said, "Holy shit. This is too much for me."

"Well, excuse my dick for pissing on your fantasies, a'right?!"

I smiled. At least they're talking to each other even if they're shouting like they've both gone deaf. But Austin must be out of his mind to reveal his biggest secret to Champion when they're not even friends and worse, while they're at each other's throats.

"Genesis, get up. I know you're alive," Champion said, voice still deep from all the shouting, and pulled away the black cloth covering me. "Ugh, shit! You look like when a one day old shit grows a face, man!"

"That bad? Shit, did I go bald?" I asked, quickly running my hands on my hair and tried to tug a handful to see if the skin might come off. Luckily it didn't. "Ah, thank goodness."

Even my voice had gone hoarse. I searched the room for Austin and immediately felt a lot better when I saw him sitting on my swivel chair. He's still scowling at Champion but the big guy ignored him completely after we started talking.

"If you're wondering how I rescued your toasted ass, I just happened to pass by to bring the swimming club's banner back to the storage room. You could've died, you moron!"

"But you made sure I didn't," I said, giving him a forced laugh to ease his worries. Champion sighed, finally relaxing his tensed shoulders. I glanced at Austin but now his sharp glare was directed on me. "Uhmm, how'd you manage to bring Austin here?"

"Ah. So you knew. For a moment there I thought he's deceiving you with his pretty girl act," Champion said blandly as he cast a surprisingly hostile look in Austin's direction. "Of course I dragged him back here while I carried you like a stupid half-dead pig."

"You two have been calling me stupid it's starting to sink in."

"You're stupid for letting him provoke you into practically endangering yourself," Champion answered. "There are several other things you can do to prove how much you love each other, kids. But sift your choices and pick the ones that are actually worth it."

"All right, mom, love you, so please stop getting mad at me and my stupid choices," I groaned, too weak to argue but if I kept quiet he might think I'm ignoring his lectures. To make it up to him I raised a hand up to his direction and Champion sighed before shaking it. His firm grip told me that he was still upset."It will help me grow into a wiser man!"