chapter twenty-one

I saw how Ashton's face suddenly sterned. He had just came to my rescue,and now he knew that I had to go back to Luke's place with Michael. I flashed my eyes towards his green eyes and they met mine with disappointment in his eyes. 

''Ashton I..'' I said as I grabbed him by the upper arm as he just interrupted me.

''I'm not letting you go.'' he said as he rejected my hand and tensed our eyeconnection. ''I've risked my life for you Taylor. I've nearly died about ten times and I'm not gonna give in for some stupid ass who treats you like you're some worthless brat.'' 

''If you come with us it'll be your eleventh and last time of nearly dying, because Luke will without doubt shoot your head off.'' Michael added as he invited himself into our conversation. 

Ashton tightened his jaw and clenched his fists as his body turned towards Michael. ''Are you really that stupid that you think I'd let him?''

Michael pulled up his gun and was about to point it at Ashton as I stopped him with a shriek, just in time before anything could happen. ''STOP IT!'' I screamed, as their eyes turned towards me. I stared at Michael and told him to shut it and then turned to Ashton. ''Luke needs me. I don't want someone's death on my conscience and especially not his. I'll take care of myself for a while more.'' 

I saw how Ashton flared up in anger and I realized that I had let him down really badly. I put my hands to his face before he shoved them away in rage. ''You know what Taylor?'' he roared as I flinched by the depth of his voice. ''Fuck it, I'm leaving.''

I didn't even have the chance to grab his arm to stop him before he began to storm out towards the exit of the large building. I ran after him as I tried to call his name but he just ignored me. Since Ashton was six feet something with long legs, I had a hard time on keeping up with his speed.  I felt myself falling as my sore legs and bare feet stumbled forward on the cold ground and I crashed down on my knees. Somehow Ashton heard me and stopped in his tracks and turned around to face me.

He started to walk my way and I felt a bit hope that he had calmed down until I noticed that he tore off his leather jacket and rolled it into a ball and threw it at me.

''Ashton what are you doing?'' I said as I felt myself starting to panic. He never used to act like this.

''I'm taking off.'' he said as his eyes burned in anger. ''And keep the jacket, we don't want anyone to mistake you for a bumper, do we?''

And with those hard words, Ashton left me confused and crying on the ground as he ran off in his black misfits t-shirt and ripped jeans only to leave me with my torn heart shattered all over the place.

-

Michael and me headed back to our place, after he had tried to calm me down and comfort me. He said I had to shut out Ashton for a while and that it wasn't much to do about my situtation for the moment. He promised me, however, that he would help me when everything had calmed down and that I had to help Luke with his wound as soon as possible.

Michael had been driving Luke home after he'd gotten his attack and that Luke had asked after me since I was gone, and that was when they noticed I had disappeared and Michael came to find me. 

As we drove into the garage Michael shut down the engine and threw himself out of the car and waited for me as he would lead me up to Luke's room where he was suffering on his bed. We walked up the stairs and I threw Ashton's jacket at the couch in the livingroom and made my way towards Luke's room. I decided not to mention anything about Ashton to him, since I didn't want him to get angry.