chapter thirty-four

''Luke are you seriously brain damaged?!'' I shouted at him as soon as we turned the corner from walking away from Mackenzie. He looked at me with confusion.

''What do you mean? I did this for Taylor!'' he growled as I tensed my eyes in him.

''You think you can protect Taylor by saying she doesn't even exist?'' I said to him. He opened his mouth to protest but didn't manage to think of anything to say.

''No one can protect her from Nash Jaggers, not even YOU.'' I said sternly but still with my friendly tone.

''No, I will! I can always protect her!'' he growled.

''Mackenzie can't do anything to her if I'm there.'' he said through gritted teeth. I sighed. Sometimes he could be so blind. 

''Either way, if I would have told her about Taylor, you know what she would've done.'' Luke said and looked at me. He was right. If Mackenzie knew, she would've gotten rid of Taylor as soon as she realized she was in the way for her to get Luke.

''This isn't going to end well.'' I mumbled and looked at my gang member, whom had worry written all over his face.

...

Taylor's POV

''Emma, what do you think happened?'' I whispered to her as we were sitting on the sofa. Neither Michael nor Luke had spoken a word since they came back from seeing that Mackenzie girl. During the whole car ride home the both of them had been in deep thoughts and hadn't said anything.

''I don't know, but I'm worried.'' she said low as I frowned slightly. I was worried aswell. This wasn't like them. Okay, Luke didn't say much when he had things on his mind but Michael always blabbed about everything and anything at any time.

''I'm going to try to talk to Luke.'' I said and stood up from the couch.

''Good luck, I'll try to get something out of Michael.'' she said with an evil smile, making me laugh.

I walked up to Luke's door and opened it silently and peeked my head inside. The music wasn't as loud as it used to be but as figured, he was standing, doing something to his old car. He had put a black towel over his shoulder as he was leaning down over the car and fiddled with the rearview mirror.

''How's it going?'' I asked softly as I walked in. Luke looked up at me and wiped his hands thoroughly. 

''Okay I guess.'' he mumbled and turned his eyes back down towards the car. He was looking as unfocused as he had done since we left the restaurant. I leaned back against the counter nad saw him zone out again while fiddling with the car.

''Luke, what's wrong? You have been acting really strange.'' I said and crossed my arms over my chest.

''It's nothing.'' he said shortly, snapping me off. I clenched my teeth together.

''If it was nothing you wouldn't be so bothered.'' I said, my voice getting harsher. Luke bit his jaw together and tried to ignore me, as I only got more agitated.

''So everything's fine then?'' I asked as he kept ignoring me. I muttered low to myself as he kept his eyes somewhere else.

''So then you don't mind if I talk to that Mackenzie girl?'' I asked simply as Luke shot his head up and looked at me angrily.

''Taylor, mind your own business.'' he growled at me.

''I won't.'' I said to him stubbornly. ''You act all strange and I have no idea why!''

''Don't intervene in my business Taylor. I've told you that before.'' he muttered and didn't even pay attention.

''I don't care about your goddamn business. You can do whatever you want but you're behaving strange and so does Michael. If there is something wrong I want to know about it.'' I snapped.