chapter thirty-eight

''Wh.. what are you doing?'' I mumbled as I nuzzled my head into the warm object that was moving me. A voice rumbled something but I didn't catch what the person was saying but I could feel the vibrations in my ear.

I was in that state of half awake, half asleep. That moment when you aren't really aware of your surroundings. I felt myself getting carried as I had wrapped my arms around the person's neck before I felt the material of soft sheets grazing my skin. I mad a small moaning sound in pleasure as I wrapped my fingers around the fluffy cover.

Even though I currently felt like I was on cloud nine, I felt like I was being watched. I wanted to continue to drift off to sleep but I forced myself to wake up some more. With a slight yawn, I turned and saw the black silhouette of a man. I was about to yelp in fear, but I contained myself as the sudden adrenaline that started punmping in my veins flowed away, and I breathed out deeply instead.

''Luke?'' I whispered, my voice sounding weaker than I thought. I blinked a few times and could see him better in the small light that existed in the room. He was looking down on his lap as he was sitting to the side on the other part of the bed.

I crawled slightly closer to him and put a pillow over my elbow and under my head as I leaned onto it, looking up at Luke.

''When did you get back?'' I asked softly as he slowly met my eyes with his own. He looked tired, stressed out and almost a bit ashamed. Worry was building up in my stomach, he had been looking like this for a while now, the little that I had seen of him. I didn't know how much more I could take of him looking and behaving like this. It was starting to really affect me too.

''A few minutes ago. I found you sleeping in the sofa.'' he said in a low voice as he turned slightly and started undressing himself by taking off his shoes.

''Oh..''

In silence I watched as he pulled off his t-shirt over his head, revealing the long bent scar he had next to his shoulderblade. He quickly took off his jeans and threw them away. It looked like he hesitated a moment before turning towards me.

With an uncertain smile I scooted away for him to get some room in the bed as he lifted up the cover and crawled in. I managed to slip out of my own clothes and just dumped them on the floor beside the bed.

I stretched out my hand and grabbed my sleepwear, containing of a smaller lent t-shirt from Michael and a pair of shorts. I quickly slipped into them and pulled my fingers through my messy hair.

I suddenly felt Luke sneaking his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him as I took the opportunity to his sudden attempt for intimacy and nuzzled my head into his firm chest. I pressed myself a little bit nearer to him. This was the closest I had been to Luke in what felt like ages. I was famished for him.

''Luke, is everything okay?'' I asked low and felt him tightening his grasp around me.

''Yes.'' he said tiredly. As his body warmth started to heat me up, I realized how empty I had felt without his touch.

I knew I shouldn't continue asking but his behavior had been so odd and I really wanted to get what he was going through. But of course, Luke kept me in the dark of what was really going on. It wasn't him in any way to act like he did. Not wanting to talk to anyone, avoiding other people and looking tired and frustrated all the time, plus looking like he was filled with shame. But I'm not really sure if it was over himself or someone else.

''Really?'' I asked.

He started stroking my hip where he had his hand, sending shivers up my spine.

 ''Everything is fine when I just get to lay here with you.'' he whisperred as a knot formed in my stomach but my heart also melted by his words. It sounded like he was enduring some sort of torture inside, without my knowing.