Under the sea

I've been gone for quite long, so here's a long chapter for you. Thank you for reading, I'm sorry and enjoy <3

[Niela]

"Niela."

I shook my head, not wanting to open my eyes.

"Niela - "

With the amount of people dying everyday, how come I hadn't been cued?

"Can the trial not wait ?"

They'd asses my worth by dissecting my life and I was not prepared to see that. I needed some time. Just a few seconds.

It was freezing. The cold cut through my elbows and crawled up my skin. I didn't know ghosts could get chills, but I technically hadn't passed the trial yet - so I wasn't dead. My soul floated somewhere in between ...

"Snap our of it, you're not dead.", Hecate said.

I must be dreaming. So ghosts now had a subconscious too? She'd only ever appeared in my dreams.

Slowly, I opened one eye, and when my mother sat in front of me, arms crossed, I figured it'd be safe to open the other.

She smiled, violet hair waving in the water. Right - the merfolk had captured me.

Not even I could dream up something like that. It was just way too absurd.

I looked around. My cell was made of stone and had a wooden gate. I sat on a soft bed of grass within a big, violet bubble. My coat laid beside me - I didn't bother putting it on as it was still wet.

"Did you make this?", I asked my mother, who moved into the bubble with me. For some reason, she was instantly dry.
"No", she smiled, "you did."

I assumed that was a good thing. Why didn't it protect me earlier, though? "I'd take freedom over a comfortable cell any day", I said, plucking a bit of grass.
Hecate laughed. "Remember, each creature has a different type of magic. The Merfolks' magic works to silence yours, just like a houseelf's magic can make you stronger."
"Hecate- uhm, Mom?" I checked to see if she was bothered. Her face remained unchanged as she said: "Yes, dear?"

I couldn't help the huge smile on my face. In my life I never felt like I'd been lacking parents - hell, I practically had two Dads - but it was exciting to see, that the person I only ever heard of, the person everyone connected me with, actually wanted that connection.
Moms eyes shined with amusement. Maybe she could read my thoughts ... maybe that's where the empathy thing came from. I had so many questions to ask.

"Slughorn greets you. And like, a few others."
She raised an eyebrow. "Is that what you wanted to tell me?"
"No, but I promised to greet you from him. Anyways, Mom, I have a few questions, if that's okay."

She smiled. "Go ahead."

"Well first", let's start with the hardest thing, "how was I born? Cause you're a virgin goddess and Dad couldn't have had me by himself."
It'd always irked me a little. There'd never been photos of my Mom after labor - which now made a lot of sense - but that brought up new questions.

Mom took a long time to answer.

Finally, she said: "You were made out of clay."