The House of Full Moon

enjoy <3

[Niela]

I'd always imagined mermaids to be different.

In my mind, two versions of them had existed: the nice movie mermaids who were essentially humans underwater, and the cruel fairy tale mermaids who sang men to their deaths.

The Merfolk were, well, neither; which was quite jarring.

None of them had any magic related to singing (at least none that I knew of). Their society underwater was different from ours, as well.

"Will Deirbhile be here soon?", I asked the guard. "And what's your name?"
"Calder, son of Damhnait. I don't know when she'll arrive."

All the petals had fallen; the energy boost had worn off as well. If Deirbhile didn't keep her end of the bargain,  I might as well already be dead.

"Aight", I yawned, "guess I'll have to wait."
"Don't fall asleep!", Calder barked.
I flinched. "Dude, no need to scream. I'm not sleeping."
"If you fall asleep, you'll die", Calder said, his tail nervously twitching in the water.
"My, you really care a lot. I'm touched." What a nice guy.
"You can die later. I need you alive until she's here."

So much for being nice.

"Then you won't need to wait any longer", a familiar voice said. Prince Cowan swam forward, arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes. "Where's Deirbhile?"
"She told me to bring you back, along with the crystal."
"Alright", I said, "but Calder is coming with me."
Cowan narrowed his eyes. "Why?"
"Because he played a vital role in my success. Can he come with me or not?"

The prince shrugged. "If he wants to."

I stood up, dissolved my bubble and picked up the crystal. Thankfully, Kaelan's charm was still intact, so I could breathe and speak freely.

We swam for a long time.
The five guards followed me, without saying a word. We passed by the hostile, curious Merpeople with their hungry eyes, turned left and  went even deeper into the lake.

The guard held out a hand. The moment I took it, the world became a blur - everything muddled together in a dark, greyish blue. Only a single light stood out, far away from us.

Calder delved right into it.

We entered a world so different, I wondered, wether we were still in the same lake.

Emotions came crashing in, leaving me lightheaded.
The lights were everywhere, and the Merfolk was, too. Suddenly, the lake was filled with life. Not life that longed to kill and destroy, but life full of happiness, love and grief - life that was lived the way we did, as people.
This must be what Kaelan had talked about.

"Your home is quite pretty", I said.
Calder nodded. "I don't want to leave again."

"Understandable."

There were family caves left and right, each lit up by crystals growing from thick stones. Their shirts were made of beads or linen, their hair was usually braided. In between the caves stood musicians and cooks, giving me the feeling of walking through a city at night.