Inventing spells might kill you

I woke up when a small blueish owl landed on my face.

"It seems like the teachers really want you to be together ... so romantic", the owl said.

"Agapi?"

"Indeed, Niela, it's me. Open the letter."

"Alright, but you'll have to get off of my face first."

Agapi stepped of my face and transfigured into her original form while doing so, then she handed me the letter.

Eletherya,

Flitwick wants us to do charms together. Today, same time as usual. From next week on, we will have this lesson on Wednesdays, as I usually do not have time on Tuesday - this is an exception.

Do not be late.
Draco Malfoy

'Why?", I mumbled. "Just why?"

"Why what?", Agapi asked.

"Why him? Why is it always him?", I said, while pushing my school books into my bag.

+

"So you have each and every lesson with him?", Laurel whispered into the silence of the library.

"Yes", I said, feeling utterly tired.

"You're going to spent three days in a row with him?"

"Yup."

She squealed. "Oh, this is so exciting!"

I didn't answer. I didn't find it exciting at all. When I came here, I was determined to do well. I still had to find clues about the ruby Khione had lost, and I should really write my father a letter - my mobile went absolutely mad with all the magic around - and I dearly missed listening to my favorite groups. Electronic devices just did not work in here and it was pissing me off. But the fact that I basically had no time to do research on the ruby bugged me more.

That did not mean I wasn't going to try though.

I stood up and started searching for anything related to powerful gems. But it was rather weird; I couldn't find anything at all related to Khione. There were all kinds of popular stones, for example the philosophers stone, made by Nicolas Flamel - Harry Potter had saved it from Lord Voldemort seven years ago. Still, I wondered why the ruby hadn't been mentioned in any of the books I read. Either it was too young to be mentioned in a book or it was too unknown.

Sighing, I stopped my search, waved Laurel goodbye and hurried my way to Malfoy.

On my way there, a girl approached my with a rat, whose hair was weirdly translucent. "Can you help me? I think somebody made the colour vanish."

Her big brown eyes looked incredibly sad and I felt sorry for both her and the rat.
I smiled.

"Sure!"

+

"One minute late, Eletherya."was the first thing Malfoy said to me when I entered the dungeons.

"But there's a reason!", I protested.

He raised an eyebrow. "And what would that reason be?"

"Well ...", he was going to laugh at me but I had to say it anyways. "I helped a first year with her rat. It had lost its colour, so I gave it its colour back ... kind of."

"Kind of?"

"It ended up having all colours of the rainbow ... but the girl liked it so it wasn't bad. "

Malfoy's mouth seemed to move up a little, but he became serious so fast that it could've just been my imagination. "You call that a valid reason?" He shook his head and mumbled something about Hufflepuffs. "How did you turn the hair rainbow - coloured anyway? I asked Professor Flitwick about your past lessons and you never learned how to colour something ... I think you will though, in two weeks."

I shrugged. "It took me some time, but I invented one."

"You did what?"

"I invented a spell ... most of the European spells are based off of Latin. I just threw some words together and went with what felt right."

"You speak the dead language?"

"No, not really ... it's rather strange, almost like the Latin is within me, but my body doesn't want to use it, at least at first. Took me some time to adjust,I got headaches at the beginning, but it's fine now ... I guess magic stays magic no matter what language you use. Anyways, I invented a spell by writing down different combinations and - what are you staring at?"

Malfoy looked the most speechless and dumbfounded I had ever seen him before he said: "Do you know how dangerous that was? There is reason we're not getting taught any Latin in this school. What if you kill the rat by accident? What if you kill yourself by accident?"

"Look Malfoy, I just wanted to help a girl and her rat. Next time I'll be more careful alright?" I wasn't quite sure why he cared, but reassuring him of my carefulness seemed the right thing to do.

"Alright. Still, today's homework will be twice as long since you were late."

"But - "

"No 'but'. We'll start with first year now. An easy but useful spell when you want small thing to levitate, look here, Wingardium Leviosa ..."

+

I collapsed in my bed at midnight. I had just finished Malfoy's homework that he had given me last Thursday for potions. Tomorrow I would have to write to Tom or Dad. I hoped they were doing okay.

+

I woke up at 4am after having a rather weird dream I couldn't understand.

In the dream, I was in a forest, holding a big ruby that was coated with ice and snow, just like the forest I was in. House elves with curly hair in brown, black, white or grey, dressed in white robes, were dancing and singing. I placed the stone on the floor, saw the red glow it had when the sun hit it and the dream changed.

I saw my father wandering through different worlds. It looked like a transparent layer separated each world, and he was moving forward and then back to what I could identify as our own world. And for the first time, I saw the earth with his eyes. What seemed to be a normal tree was a nymph, an animal, an elf, a witch; every object had multiple layers for multiple worlds ... there was so much going on, so many things at once, whole wars were fought behind a train in our world; people screamed, laughed and cried - and my father had to hear and see it all.

I chose not to bother myself with the first dream in the forest, changed into pullover and a pair of jeans overalls and walked to the library. I couldn't sleep at this point anyways, so I might as well do my research on World-wanderers. Maybe I could find something to help my dad.