Honey and Chocolate

[Niela]

"My father, Lucius Malfoy, was once a loyal death eater. I don't think he was loyal to the Dark Lord, though.", Draco said.

"He was loyal to whoever he could profit from?", I guessed.

Draco nodded. "Exactly. He was loyal to the source of power; something that guaranteed him wealth and influence behind the scenes.
So when the Dark Lord vanished, father spent his time with the fools in the ministry, but was right back on his knees when he returned. All in order to gain new power.
It was fine by me, you know? I even took pride in the influence of the Malfoy name. That is, until fifth grade. Father messed up - and didn't get away with it."

"What happened?"

"He was supposed to steal a prophecy front the ministry, but ended up getting caught and the mission failed.", Draco answered. "Askaban was the consequence."

Oh shit.

"He was never the same afterwards."
With dementors around - I could imagine.

For a second it seemed like Draco got carried away by his thoughts.
Away from here to something dark ... and frightening.
"Draco?" I grabbed his hand.

He shook his head, as if to get those thoughts away.

"Right. So after father got out of prison, I had to fulfill tasks for the Dark Lord. I was eager - I knew we would probably get killed if I failed. Back then, behind my back, my mother made an unbreakable vow with my godfather, Severus Snape."

The cluelessness was probably written all over my face.

"They are vows bound by magic. If you break them, you'll probably die, but I'm not sure."

It was quite astonishing how calm he was on the outside. His voice sounded as if he was talking about the weather, while he actually felt deep sadness. This was probably what it's like, to be a Malfoy.

"Either way", Draco continued, "He swore to help me. You see, my task was to kill Albus Dumbledore, but I couldn't do it. I even almost switched sides."
"Because you are no murderer."
Draco let our a bitter laugh. "Dumbledore said the same thing. Maybe I'm just weak."
"Not wanting to kill is not weak, it's human - something Voldemort"(Draco flinched when hearing his name) "certainly was not. It's not healthy for anyone at all to kill at such a young age."

"Have you ever killed someone?"

I avoided his eyes, feeling ashamed. "It was an accident."
Like a coward I was still denying it.

"Niela", Draco said gently. "Look at me."

I sighed and lifted my head.
"Tell me what happened."
"Shouldn't we get done with you stuff fir-"
"Tell me and I'll tell you. An eye for an eye, as muggles would say."

Though grey was a cold colour, Draco's eyes were warm. Comforting in a way.

"It was in eighth grade", I said.
"We were assigned a project in history class: making voodoo figures. At the time, we were studying popular superstitions throughout history.
Our teacher assigned us in groups of two, Alicia and I ended up being in one together.
Naturally, since we despised each other, she got on my nerves. I got really frustrated and accidentally snapped the puppet in half.
The following week my least favorite teacher died."

He didn't say anything in response. That was it. I'd scared him away.
It was about time; I'd been comfortable running away from the incident, but it'd caught me in the end.
Pretending it hadn't happened had probably been the false decision all along. Not only did I disrespect (and neglect) the legacy of Mrs. McCody, I also hid it from everyone around me. I would have had to reveal this someday and lose him as well as Laurel and Cecily -