Draco to the rescue

Bonus points if you get the reference :) also, I'm sorry about the chapter being so short ... it was a struggle to write lol

[Niela]

The water lily lost a petal.

I watched it aimlessly float around, knowing ten minutes had passed. A guard had given it to me, as a measure for time.

Unfortunately, the crystal was just as broken as before. None of the spells I knew were of use in here. Reparo required the missing piece; Episkey healed living, breathing organisms, which the crystal was not.

I pulled out my stones and placed them in a square around me. Immediately, the barrier formed. I guess reciting the spell was a only necessary the first time around.
Now that I had gravity working for and not against me, I could maybe make a potion. Or invent a spell. Problem was, I didn't know what I was dealing with; these crystals were too mysterious for their own good.
Still, I had to give it a try.
"Signaculum", I said swinging my arm. It meant seal in Latin. Not very creative, but I had little information and even less time.
I repeated the spell in Greek, but nothing changed.

Well, if random words in Latin didn't work, maybe describing would do. It had worked last time, withPansy. Granted, I passed out after saving her, but if I didn't finish, I'd be breakfast for the seahorses.

The outer sides of the wound had to create a net. One small fiber growing, stretching, until it reached the other side. It had to happen from each side, in order to cover the entire surface.
"Grow, stretch and seal", I said, repeating the words in Greek and then in Latin. With my wand I traced the motion I wanted to see on the crystal.
Slowly, the crystal listened to my command. A strand of blood red crystal moved across the wound, halting on the other side. I kept chanting the spell, until no more magic was leaking.

Panting, I sat back. Two more petals had fallen. Whatever potion I drank earlier kept me from loosing consciousness; it didn't keep me from having a huge headache, though. Or my stomach from rumbling. I closed my eyes. Hopefully Deirbhile would appear soon.

"Congratulations", a guard said. I replied with a surprised "thank you", and then magic shot out of the seal, a bright, red, burning beam hitting the walls of my bubble.

"You've got to be kidding me", I said, wiping away the residue it had left on my face.
"What the fuck?" I felt like crying.
Another petal hit the floor. I had half an hour left.

Focus, Niela, Focus. What other options where there?

Spells, invented or existing, didn't work - or rather, they didn't work permanently. Whatever magic this crystal possessed, it was too strong for a simple seal. If I wanted to bind it, I needed to work with, not against it. I turned the crystal upside down looking for something that could help me.

"Do you know what chess is?"

"What?", I mumbled, still staring at crystal. There had to be some way to fix this.

"I'm asking", the guard barked, "if you know chess!"
Frowning, I looked up. "I thought you were a fish, not a dog. What's the barking for?"
"Do you know it or not."
Yes, I was about to say, but stopped myself. I needed to be smart about this. If I could sell my little chess knowledge for information, I'd gladly do so.