Narcissa's return

[Niela]

We had Defense against the dark arts first period and nobody knew who the new teacher would be. We asked Harry and Ron who there to assist the teacher, but they didn't know either.

A few minutes later, the classroom was a mess.

People were shouting and some idiot thought it was a good idea to start a fight with jinxed paper planes. Harry and Ron weren't helping either - instead, they participated in the game. Laurel took part in it, as well, while I sat down and started drawing. Cecily was casually reading through the DADA book.

Half an hour passed and only few noticed when the teacher stepped in. Warning our classmates was useless - they were way to occupied hexing paper planes. From behind the students I couldn't see her face - just her long, midnight blue robes and a pair of black heels.

"Enough."

The paper planes stood still in the air. Everyone rushed to their seats.

"I guess Professor Slughorn failed to inform you of my late arrival.

My name is Narcissa Malfoy. You shall address me as Professor Malfoy or Madam. I will be your teacher in defense against the dark arts for at least the rest of this school year. You may sit down."

The students started talking again. Narcissa looked mildly annoyed. "I notice you have quite a lot of questions. If you raise your hands, I will answer them."

Twenty-one hands shot up in the air.

She sighed. "First row, far left. And your name as well, please."

"Merida Scott, Ravenclaw. Not to disrespect you, Professor Malfoy, but looking at your past, you have been associated with people that used the dark arts to spread Terror across the country. Why would you - who has witnessed this happening and done nothing against it - teach us in defense against the dark arts, when you once believed that what they did was right?"

Narcissa smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. "That is a very good question. I have indeed, been guilty of witnessing terror, but not doing anything against it. Now listen closely, I will not repeat myself.

At first, it would never have crossed my mind to stop my husbands and sisters activities. I had been raised in the house Black, an ancient and noble household. I was comfortable in my privileged, discriminating skin.

Even though I - throughout the years-  noticed more and more how certain things Lucius and Bella did weren't right, I chose not to say anything. We were in way too deep at that point - disagreeing with the Dark Lord was similar to suicide. I chose to save my own head and my son's as well, when he was born.
When Draco was sixteen, he truly got introduced to the Death Eater community. He got a task, he'd never be able to fulfill. I did everything in my power to protect him and did so until the end - even betraying the Dark Lord as a result.

So, to answer your question, Miss Scott, I never truly believed in Lord Voldemort's ideology. I never agreed with the chaos they created. The reason I want to teach you is simple - I am a woman who saw a war being planned in front of her eyes. Who could explain you better how to shield yourself from evil than a person who witnessed it first hand?"

The classroom was silent. I guessed nobody had expected her to answer this detailed and honest.
"Are there any more questions?"
Still, nobody moved.
"Good. So, I reviewed the notes from the past lessons with Madam Churchill ..."

+

Potions had become a lot easier for me to handle than before. Not only did Malfoy's lessons pay off, but the instructions in the new book were amazing. Not one potion needed to get hexed away, since the overall outcome was, well, ... decent. Slughorn was so surprised, he didn't give us any homework as a reward.