Yule ball

When I was back in my dorm, I thought about my upcoming mission and mother Amera's words:
"Retrieve the missing stones. Take three people to accompany you and your guardian. We will heal your father as an exchange for your work."

She had told Alicia and me about the function of the different types of gems within the giant crystal. Each and everyone of them were core part of the seasons, just like the snow ruby was part of the winter section in the crystal. Gods and Goddesses like Khione used them to gain more power over their element, thus creating an imbalance within the forest and generally in the seasons. We - whatever group we would end up being- had to retrieve the missing gems and bring them back to the crystal. In Hagrid's next lesson I was going to learn more about the connection between the crystal and the forest's creatures, and would be handed a list of the gods known to have stolen parts of it.

However, I could not think of how to do that right now, since

a) the Yule ball was in a few hours
b) today was my birthday and I didn't tell anyone about it
c) I for sure had to learn how to Apparate before going on that mission and the apparition - teacher was driving me crazy.

For the Yule ball I was wearing the giant dress made of a pretty champagne colour with lots of different symbols and patterns on it that my grandmother from Cameroon had given to me. I had bought a sleeveless cloak and colored it in a deep burgundy red.

Slowly but surely, I was beginning to become nervous. In Hufflepuff it was tradition to get congratulated by the houses prefect on your birthday with a small cake and candle. Before that happened, I had to tell Laurel and Cecily, otherwise I would not survive this day.

"Uhm", I said, after putting on my dress.

Laurel turned around with a huge grin on her face. "Yes? You look beautiful, by the way." Cecily nodded with a smile. "The dress suits you really well."

"I - it's my birthday today."

A moment of shocked silence before Laurel burst out in panic and Cecily wished me a happy birthday.

"What? But Niels, why didn't you tell me before? Happy Birthday, Happy Birthaday ... I'm so sorry I don't have a gift for you - Cecily, did you know? ( Cecily shook her head, still in shock) of course you didn't know ... oh Niela, I'm so sorry, I swear ... but seriously, why didn't you tell any of us?"

"I kind of forgot to do so."

"The most important day of the year and you forget it! Doesn't matter, C-lily and I will give you your gift later. I'm so happy it is your birthday today - - congrats!" She smiled again, though it was a bit strained. I reassured her, saying it didn't matter wether or not she got me a present (which it really did not, I was just happy to have her and Cecily in my life) and ended up in a big group hug with my two best friends.

+

Blaise Zabini was waiting for me in front of the great hall. He wore a long, midnight blue cloak and looked undoubtedly beautiful. He gave me a short nod. "You look decent."
"Thank you. You look good, too." If he said I looked decent, then I really must not look all too bad.
Blaise shrugged.
"It wasn't a compliment. Let's go." I nodded, took the arm he had offered to me and we entered the room.

Do you know this feeling when the whole room's staring at you, so you feel like you should have taken an extra shower since they might think you smell?

That was exactly the feeling I had.

I tried ignoring the stares and concentrated on walking calmly to the stage were we would do the first dance. Merlin's sacred underwear, was that nerve wrecking.

"... We shall honor and never forgot those who have fallen in the fight against Voldemort. A moment of silence for those that have fought bravely in Hogwarts and all over Britain, as well as for those who have suffered from the cruelty of Tom Riddle, no matter if they are muggles or wizards."

For a full minute nobody said anything. Slowly, Professor McGonnagal raised her wand. Two white sparks shot out of it, into the air - one spark for the wizards, one for the muggles. We repeated her gesture (though I had to stamp on Blaise's foot so he'd raise his wand a second time ) - the great hall looked like it was filled with stars.

"Alright", McGonagall said, "let's celebrate the start of a better, more peaceful era in the magical world.

Today, the first dance will be done by three students who have had key roles in defeating Voldemort :Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley" - cheers from all corners of the great hall - "also by Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood and Ginny Weasley who have shown great courage when death eaters were in Hogwarts, as well as the two demigoddesses who have joined us this year: Alicia Charles and Niela Eletherya - as a sign of peace between the different magic and non-magic worlds."

The music started - a slow waltz. Beautiful dance, but also great at showing off your mistakes.

Blaise however, did not seem concerned at all. And later I understood why - he was a fabulous dancer. The only person that could probably outdance him was Tom - and Toms dancing was out of this world. I always felt like I was flying when I danced with him.

He bowed at the end, I curtseyed and we parted ways.

Now the dancing floor was open for everyone to use. Upbeat music was played and the people had fun, wether they could dance or not. I could see Laurel dance crazily with her partner and Cecily dance sensually with her partner ( I think it was Bachata but I wasn't sure). Who would have thought that our calm girl Cecily could swing her hips like that?

I smiled at the sight of the two of them and started searching for some chocolate.

+

"How many of these have you already eaten?", a voice behind me asked.
I flinched and almost coughed out half of my brownie (but only almost - as if I'd let chocolate go to waste).

"Hello Malfoy", I said after throughly chewing and gulping down my brownie. "This is my first one - chocolate was surprisingly hard to find in here."
Malfoy chuckled. He seemed to be in a good mood. "Why aren't you dancing?"
"I could ask you the same", I replied and looked for more brownies.
"I don't enjoy dancing."
"Well, I do enjoy dancing", I said, "but brownies are better. I also fear for my dress, since the train is so long."
Then I frowned. His friends were nowhere to be seen - and I was pretty sure he had friends so I was surprised when he sat down next to me.

"Where are your friends?", I asked, and (finally) managed to snatch a brownie from an elder houseelf.

"Goyle's dancing and Blaise is ... occupied."
I chose not to ask what exactly Blaise Zabini was doing. "And your other friends?"

Malfoy shrugged. "I have distanced myself from them ... we don't share the same views anymore. They are still stuck with the idea of pureblood pride."

I nodded and finished eating my brownie. "Glad you ain't, by the way."

Malfoy's eyebrow rose up to the sky. "Ain't what?"

"Stuck on the idea of discrimination. I had to stomp on Blaise's foot so he'd raise his wand after Professor McGonagall's first part of the speech."

Malfoy almost choked on his drink and started laughing.