Period [noun]: a length or portion of time.

After double arithmetic, Laurel, Cecily and I collapsed on our beds.

"Ugh, I'm so tired", Cecily said. Then she pulled out a radio and started searching for music.

"Potions, History of Magic and Arithmetic - this day was meant to be cursed", Laurel replied. "Also, did you see Malfoy? Looks like he got even taller this summer. Honestly, how can he be so good looking?"

He would be, if he didn't have a permanent sneer locked on his face.

"He's an ass", Cecily said thoughtfully, "but I think he's changed a little."

"Why do you hate him so much?", I asked, and flopped from the bed so I could start my homework.

"He bullied my sister.", Cecily answered, "She is in Slytherin as well. But unlike Malfoy she doesn't enjoy bullying first years and Muggle-borns, thus she declined his offer to join his little gang. She was a top student, by far the best student Slytherin has seen in the past ten years. The fifth year she spent in Beauxbatons since Madame Maxime was so fond of her, and she was the best student of her year. Jade was pretty and talented and Malfoy even asked her to be his girlfriend, but she refused. So he gave her a hard time - I'm just glad she didn't have any classes with Malfoy." Laurel snorted. "I bet Parkinson liked that."

"She did", Cecily said. "And the worst part is the fact that Malfoy bullied her just because he didn't get what he wanted. Because my sister was one of the few things the spoiled brat couldn't buy with his Lord-like wealth or arrogance ... but I think he's changed. Not enough for me to forgive him, but still. I guess the war leaves its marks ... on everyone."

+

We headed to the dungeons so we could pick up our cauldrons and go outside to add the final ingredient. After everyone had their potions in their hands, we marched out of the school into the forbidden forest. Slyghorn gave each of us the last ingredient : Moonstone, a crystal like stone buried so deep down in the water, that only Merpeople could find it. Slughorn had explained that the people thought the stone came actually from the moon; thus the rather inaccurate name because 'every child knows humans can't breathe in space'. I thought about telling him of  the first person to land on the moon, but decided not to do so. This was one of the reasons the potion was so hard to make: most Merfolks didn't give the stone away, since it was of great value for them as well. But the Merpeople had decided to be generous that year because the war had affected the wizards the most.

"Alright class, please search for a spot where the moonlight is going to shine on the potion. When everybody found a spot I will tell you to put the crystal in."

We searched for our spots and after Slughorn counted down from three, we put the crystal in.

The potion started to boil and alarmingly jump out of the cauldron, though after a few minutes, everything stood still again and the liquid had a newly added silver glow.

The next morning, an owl sat in front of my window. I opened the window and she stepped in, her grey head up high.
I grinned. She was the most arrogant owl I had ever seen ... probably just as arrogant as her owner. I gave her a snack and she flew away. I opened the letter.

Eletherya,

Meet me at the dungeons today at eight pm. Do not be late.

Draco Malfoy

+

I ran to the dungeons as fast as one could on three inch - platform heels. Taking a nap in the middle of the day probably wasn't the best idea, but i had drawn all night and almost slept in class - but only almost since my period had started and the cramps were keeping me from sleeping. Of course my body decided it was ready to sleep fifteen minutes before Malfoys lesson.

I opened the door and stumbled in. Malfoy checked his watch. "If you come late another time, you will get detention."

I nodded and mumbled an apology, trying to ignore the fact that my stomach was making me double over in pain. Maybe I should sit down ... I felt rather dizzy.

"Are you even listening?"

I raised my head. Malfoy angrily stared at me.

"Yeah ... yes, I am listening.", I said, hoping he would just leave at that.

"Oh really? Repeat what I said then."

Why was I so stupid?

"Sorry", I replied.

"I don't see how I'm supposed to teach you the topics of the past five years if you aren't even listening. I am sacrificing my time for this. Unfortunately, Slughorn - what is wrong with you?", he stepped back when I doubled over in pain.
"Are you throwing up?"

I glanced at him. "No Malfoy, I'm obviously not throwing up."

"Well ..." He seemed to be searching for words. "What makes you be in enough pain to look like you're about to throw up?"

I really didn't want to answer his question. I wanted my bed.
"It's called period, Malfoy. Ever heard of it?"

"Pansy's complained about it once a month when we were dating ... so yeah, I witnessed a girl on her period."

He seemed uncomfortable. "I don't think doing something today will be effective ... come back tomorrow."

I nodded, mumbled a 'thank you', turned around and left.

+

"Malfoy, the gentleman", Laurel said and grinned.

Cecily shook her head. "I can't believe you still like him after everything I told you. Honestly, you're such a bad friend."

"I don't like him, I'm just acknowledging his beauty. I am pointing out what everybody can see. And I've only started doing that ever since the beginning of the school year. As you said, he changed for the better."

"Still a bad friend", Cecily muttered, but grinned.

+

I was on the way to transfiguration, when my cramps kicked back in.

It's not like they had been gone in the morning - they just hadn't been as present as they were in that moment. I cursed under my breath and made sure to hurry. McGonagall didn't tolerate tardiness.
Transfiguration seemed to take longer than usual and I was happy when the lesson was over, but then McGonagall called me and I was sure I'd be in trouble for not paying attention in class.

"I heard about your private lessons with Mr. Malfoy. Just like Horace said, I'm supposed to - and will - give you a student to work with. I was thinking of giving you Hermione Granger, but she doesn't have much time, since she is preparing for her N.E.W.T.S. while assisting me and Professor Valencia - your Arithmetic teacher - twice a week. Malfoy shall teach you the past topics of transfiguration - he is, after all, an adequate student. And also, Miss Eletherya ... sometimes it's better not to come to class when the cycle makes you suffer."

I felt my face getting hot and thanked the gods I was too black for anyone to notice. "Yes Ma'am."

She smiled lightly and I walked out of the room, still trying to figure out how exactly she noticed my period.