Dream a little dream

[Niela]

The moment I saw the tall statues of stone surrounding me, I knew it was a dream.

I could not identify the location, though it seemed to be in the middle of a river. The statues were standing in a circle around me, each one holding a gemstone in their hands. Their faces were elegant and proud, the way a human would imagine a god to be.
I was standing on a field made of energy, held together by the beaming light each gemstone shone towards the other.

Violet waves crashed against the statues - water, tinted by the blue and red blood flowing out of dead bodies. It made me sick, but I looked closer.

A woman seemingly made of snow caught my eye. Golden fluid was running all over her body; Ichor, the blood of the gods. This had to be Khione.

Draco. On the verge of death, holding onto a rock, whilst trying not to get swallowed by the waves. Laurel, in the water, gasping for air.

Not daring to think about where the others had gone, I ran towards a small space between the statues but was thrown back into the middle.
I tried again and again, until I lost count.

"Please", I cried. It felt too real for a dream.

"ελευθερία"

'Elefthería' - Free one or Freedom. Until now, I had not noticed what my name meant. How ironic.

"ελευθερία", the statues spoke again.
"Make your choice. What are you willing to give?"
Between water and earth, innocent and guilty will fall.
"Anything!", I said, "anything to save them all."

My surroundings vanished and I was left alone in darkness.
A dark-skinned woman appeared, with piercing green eyes and curly violet hair. She was wearing a traditional gown of Ancient Greece and held a torch in one hand.

Hecate approached me with a light smile.

"Will I be able to prevent this from happening?"
"No, child. But the choice you made is one that will cost you greatly. Be aware of the risk."
I could lose my life ... or worse. But at least they got to live. "I am."
My mother sighed, as if she had seen this answer coming. "Then take this with you." She pressed her thumb onto my forehead and I woke up with a burning headache.

+

As per usual, Alicia, Laurel, Cecily and I prepared for the exams last minute. Or rather: Laurel and I prepared last minute, Cecily had finished studying days ago but had a bit of a fear of missing something and Alicia didn't care about her grades - so she didn't study.

To be honest, it was a waste of my time as well. I couldn't concentrate. My thoughts circled around the dream.
Draco and Laurel who had been almost drowning. Cecily, Alicia and Blaise who were nowhere to be seen.

"Niels!"
I flinched. "What is it?"
"Have you seen my parchment? I can't seem to find it!"
"It's on your bed, Laurel."
"Right, thank you."

I tried to focus. Transfiguration was arguably my weakest subject. The hair-changing was definitely the hardest, I just couldn't seem to master it.
I asked myself what other things I had failed at in order to bring us all into a situation such as my dream. Hecate had said that it was going to happen. I couldn't prevent it.

Tom had always told me something similar when I was younger: "The more one tries to run from fate, the harder it hits you in the face."
I always thought it was a hilariously cheesy thing to say, but I guessed there's some truth to it as well. Sometimes, you just had to accept and move on. But I couldn't accept the death of my loved ones. The gods knew where Dad and Tom were in my dream. It wasn't like I was very keen on dying. I just didn't have a choice.