Countdown to a Cold Wind

Kana ages 10-14

Kana ages 10-14

Some say you can feel it before somebody you love dies, like a countdown ticking in the back of your mind or a rope suddenly snapping. This day was a countdown and Kana's life forever changed at it's end.
~1:34 PM~
Kana was sitting by the shore of Lake Oracion awaiting her next mission and sure enough Iroh appeared with a letter attached to his foot. 'The casualties in the mountain town south are rising. You're to join Korra Asiguri on sight, head south.' Kana bid goodbye to her master and set off south to meet her mother. She was quite nervous as she had never been on a mission with her mother before. It had been 4 years since Kana had become a demon slayer and she was now the age of 10. She was rank Kinoe and had been working hard to achieve Hashira status. As her mother's successor she had to be ready to become a Hashira at any given moment.

~4:07 PM~
Kana arrived in the mountain village to find her mother playing with a dog on the street. She sighed and walked over to her knowing her mother could be a little air headed at times. "Mom?" She said in a questioning tone. Korra's crimson eyes lit up as she saw her daughter and immediately she stood to hug her. "Kana I can't believe Oyakata-Sama took my request to send you here! I've missed you so much my love." Kana hugged her mother back and smiled as she really had missed her as well. Korra suggested they get some lunch and she would catch Kana up on everything she'd learned so far. Kana agreed and the two made their way to the local ramen shop.
"So what have you learned?" Kana said while placing her order.
"I've learned absolutely nothing." Korra said with a wide grin. Kana starred at her questioningly and Korra cocked her head to the side in disappointment.
"Kana I had the master send you here so we could spend time together. There is no mission." Kana's eyes widened in realization of how stupid she was being and nodded.
Kana settled in but still felt uneasy about the whole situation. She brushed it off and continued talking with her beloved mother telling herself 'what could really go wrong anyways.
~7:09 PM~
Kana and her mother spent their day talking and enjoying each other's company. Korra had decided she wanted to see the sun set over the mountain side and Kana obliged following her like a duckling to its mother. The two sat on a rock and watched as the sun went down.
"Kana my love, I want to tell you something."
"Of course mother, anything."
" I love you so much, you're the greatest gift I've ever received. I thank the gods every day for giving you to me. You truly are an amazing child."
Kana held her mother tightly as she knew her words were genuine and replied with.
"There are very few children who are blessed with the opportunity to pick their parents. I am very glad I chose you."

~4:05 AM~
The light of the stars shone through the canopy of trees as Kana and her mother made their way back to the village. Kana's mother the halted stopping dead in her tracks. She put a stopping hand in front of Kana and said "Show yourself you evil creature." Kana's eyes widened as a demon revealed itself from behind a tree. "You have... keen senses... no doubt about it.... You're a... Hashira... aren't you?"
"I am the wind Hashira, Korra Asiguri."
"Well.. wind Hashira... I am Kokushibo... of the.. Twelve Kizuki."
His eyes read Upper Moon One and his aura was enough to suffocate anyone. He suddenly drew his sword and in a flash the fight began. Kana watched her mother and the moon struggle for what felt like hours exchanging blows and losing limbs. Kana tried to find her way to help but before she could her mother yelled "Stay put! That is an order!" Kana planted her feet and didn't move an inch.

Some say when somebody you love dies you hear a ticking sound, some here an angels choir, for Kana it was the snap of a rope as upper moon one's sword pierced her mother's heart. Kana's entire self snapped ignoring her mother's crys for her to run away or save herself. Her crimson eye's flashed red as she drew her sword. She hung her head low as she prepared herself to attack the demon. In a flash her head rose and a chaotic flaming energy engulfed the forest around her.
" Scorch Breathing, Eleventh Form: Flaming Cyclone."
Flames enveloped the world around her as she charged for the demon aiming solely at it's neck. The sword swung but the demon vanished. Kana screamed "Come back and face me you coward!" As tears streamed down her face. She yelled and cried throwing her sword around but was halted by her mother's smile as she waved her over.
~5:07 AM~
Kana collapsed in front of her mother who had propped herself against a tree. She then began to babble saying "Please, mother. Try to stop the bleeding, you can live, you can fight. Please, please don't leave me alone." Kana began trying to stop the bleeding herself but her mother grabbed her hands and said "I'm sorry my love, my time is up. I'm going to die very soon so please listen, I have some things I need to say. Tell Ozai that I love him. I always have and always will. Tell Sanemi and Novioka that they were more than just students to me... they were my children. You all were, and Kana. Please smile for me, I love your smile." Kana smiled at her mother as the tears flowed down her face. Korra put her hand on Kana's cheek and continued to speak "Kana, stand tall my love. You're to be a Hashira. Make me proud and remember that you are special. Take my sword. Thank you for choosing me to be your mother." And with those words Korra's hand went limp and her eyes fluttered shut. Korra died with a smile on her face, leaving her legacy to Kana. Kana's screams could be heard throughout the entire mountain. She sat with her mother until the sun rose and eventually the kakushi came to move her body. Kana left the sight with the smile her mother loved on her face and returned to the demon slayer headquarters.

~3 months later~

"Have a seat Kana. Welcome, my children to the semi annual Hashira Meeting. I would like to introduce our newest Hashira who has been active for 3 months now. Our Scorch Hashira, Kana Asiguri." The eyes of the five other swordsmen in the room slowly trailed to Kana as she waved slightly.

"Please introduce yourselves."
"Gyomei Himejima, Stone Hashira."
"Shinjuro Rengoku, Flame Hashira."
"Juri Mistoko, Water Hashira."
"Aldri Rohana, Sound Hashira."
"Raya Torre, Ice Hashira."

~After the Hashira meeting~
Kana had found herself sitting on the shore of Lake Oracion once again, watching the water push and pull. Kana's head hung as she contemplated her new position. She was soon joined by her master and he took a seat next to her.
"Master, how can I sit where she sat. How can I do what she did? She said she wanted me to make her proud. How can I make her proud master?"
Ozai said nothing and silence hung over them. He then said "I am no longer your master, my daughter." He then stood and made his way back to the house. Kana's eyes filled with tears as a strong breeze washed over her. He had for the first time in her life called her daughter.

Hi so I know this chapter moved kind of fast and I'm sorry about that it's just I'm trying to get to the Rengoku content as soon as possible. Thank you so much for reading ❤️