Chapter 10

Divya

"Ammu! I don't have anything to wear for the gala tonight." I told her feeling disappointed that I might have to buy a stupid dress for a single event.

I have to save money from now on. I am planning to send Amar to preschool after he turns 3 along with Alex. And the preschool they are planning for is a private one and really expensive, so I can't just waste money on small things like this anymore.

"Come here, You can wear something from my closet and I will inform Andrew to pick you up from here instead," Ammu said.

And that's how I and Amar landed at Amaya's house. I am sitting on the chair while Amaya is showing me all her dresses.

Amar is playing with Alex, Danny, and Elena while Dru is babysitting them. Dru is in high school already, he is growing up really fast. He was a preteen when I first came here and now he looks like a young man.

"I found it, How about this one?" She said showing me a colorful dress which is too much for this event and I nodded no.

"I want something simple Ammu! I don't want any attention on me." I told her lying down on the bed bored out of my mind.

"Get up Divya! You know what I have this dress and I think you will like it." She said and ran outside and got a step ladder, climbed on it, and carried down a big bag.

She unzipped the bag and showed me the most beautiful blue ball gown, with a white top and 3d flowers flowing from the top. That's such a pretty dress. That dress made me get up and put it on me.

"This looks so pretty, Are you sure that I can wear it?" I asked her feeling guilty about wearing her dress.

"Andrew got me this from some designer in New York for our reception here. I just never got the chance to wear it."She said and pushed me into her closet to change.

I put it on and came out and looked at myself in the mirror, I felt nervous looking at myself.

"Oh my goodness! You look amazing. All the men in that ball will go cray-cray." She said clapping and jumping in excitement and I smiled at her.

Amaya came to me and made me sit in front of her dresser and started brushing my hair.

"Ammu! I am scared." I told her truthfully.

Looking at myself like this is scaring me, I never got dressed up after my marriage. Jay hated when I dressed up fancy, he used to yell at me, make me change, and said that I look ugly in them.

"You have to stop listening to his voice in your head. Stop being scared! You have gone through some hard things in life but now it's time to catapult yourself to the next level."  She said setting my hair and looking at me in pain.