Chapter 19

Just a heads up! We are still in the past.

Divya

"I need to file a complaint, "I told the person on the other line, brushing my tears off.

"What is your complaint, Mam?" The man asked me.

"I was raped and my husband is the attacker," I told them gathering all the strength I could muster and controlling my tears from falling down.

Yes, I was attacked by my own husband. He came home drunk, unlike every day he didn't go into his room. He came to my room, I felt scared and I faked my sleep because in the past he never touched or hit me when I was sleeping.

But this time was different because he fell on top of me, At first, I was too shocked to know what was going on, but the second I opened my eyes and saw him with lust and anger, I knew it.

I tried to push him away but he was so heavy that I couldn't. I tried... I did whatever I could do, I kicked him with my hands and legs but he pinned my hands above my head and stopped them from moving with his one hand, and he sat on my legs so I couldn't move them either.

That moment when I couldn't move my body, I was scared and helpless because I knew what was about to happen and I couldn't protect myself. I didn't know what to do except pray for something good to happen.

He unzipped his pants and ripped my clothes off and started touching me. I felt disgusted by his touch, I wanted to run away, and create an escape for myself. I couldn't see myself like that being weak, I cursed my ill fate and closed my eyes, and kept praying for someone to walk through the door and help me.

I still had hope that someone would come for me, but there was no Lord Krishna to save me from this situation as he did for Draupadi.

"I am sorry Mam, we can only lodge a complaint. We won't be able to do anything because under section 375 of the Indian Penal Code Forced sex is a crime only when the victim is younger than 15 if the victim is married to the attacker." Her words brought me back to the harsh reality.

Marital Rape is legal in India.

When I gathered the courage to file a complaint against him, life showed me its true colors.

There is no god, if he was there he would've seen the injustice I am going through and would've helped me through it.

"If you go through the Protection of Woman under Domestic Violence act, you might get a civil remedy as in you can get some financial compensation for it." The man explained and I cut the call after listening to that.

His words felt like a punch in my gut. I felt disgusted at myself. I wanted to go stay in the shower again to forget his touch and make my body numb again.

What am I hooker? They do consensual sex, but this is non-consensual, I didn't want him to touch me, this is not what I wanted in life.

This is so demeaning to all the women in this world. I don't need money, I need my life back to how it was before. I wanted peace. I wanted to feel free from this monster.

We will always yell Maa when we get hurt and that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to call my family and tell them that I am in pain, so I called my mother.

"Maa!" I whispered into my phone as soon as she picked up the call.

"Please help me, Maa! Can you trust me one last time? I promise to never ask you anything again. I promise to be the best daughter. Please take me home." I begged her with tears running from my eyes.