Series 4 Chapter 20

The Real Truth
Series 4 Chapter 20

It had been almost a month and the Christmas holidays were quickly approaching. Hadrian and Hadriel's training a picked up and severely increased in difficulty. Sometimes it got to the point that they couldn't even cast spells anymore, they were so exhausted. Hadrian had somehow managed to convince his father to allow Draco to train with them as well, something the blonde constantly complained to him about. Hadrian had also started to think of how he would tell Ginny that he'd been the one to kill Ron. He'd promised Hadriel he'd do it and almost a whole month had passed. Hadrian sighed and pushed himself up from where he'd been working on homework in the library. He made his way up to the Gryffindor common room, scanning it for the redhead. When he did spot her, she was sitting at a table with Hadriel, both of them reading some book.

"Er- Ginny? Can I talk to you for a second?" Hadrian asked.

Ginny looked up, raising an eyebrow, "Sure?"

Hadrian and Hadriel shared a look and the girl just nodded, "I'll be here when you both get back."

Ginny followed Hadrian out of the common room and into an abandoned classroom.

"Hadrian? What's going on?" Ginny asked, a hint of worry on her face.

Hadrian sighed, "There's something you should know..."

Ginny just shuffled.

"I killed Ron." Hadrian blurted, "It was an accident, my father had been pestering me about casting the killing curse for weeks and then I saw Ron point his wand at Draco who had his back turned, fighting someone else and I just used the first spell I could think of. I didn't mean to, I felt horrible, I promised myself that I'd only use the curse so I could protect myself from Dumbledore, and that I'd never use it to hurt someone I cared about. I know I didn't exactly care for Ron, but he still used to be my best friend and I just felt so guilty, I couldn't even admit what I'd done to Hadriel. The only people who knew were my father and Draco."

Ginny stood stock still, her eyes wide, her mouth moving, but no words came out. Eventually she shook her head.

"No, no I won't believe it Hadrian. You- You wouldn't do something like that..."

"But I did. I'm sorry Gin, I really am."

The redhead put her head in her hands, her body shaking every now and then.

"Ginny?" Hadrian asked carefully.

The girl looked up, "Why am I not mad at you?!" She asked, her voice strained and her face tear stained, "You killed my brother! Why, why can't I bring myself to hate you?! I should hate you!"

Hadrian flinched.

Ginny made a fetal attempt to wipe away her tears, "I- I understand why it happened, I... I don't hate you for it, I would've done the same if it were Hadriel, but- but I will never forgive you."

Hadrian nodded, "I didn't expect you to."

"I won't tell mum." The girl decided, "I won't tell anyone, just.... please tell them."

Hadrian nodded, "I will, at some point."

Ginny pushed herself up, "Thank you for telling me Hadrian, it means a lot, I... I'll just need a little bit of time to get over it."