Series 1 Chapter 11

The Real Truth
Series 1 Chapter 11

When they finally floo'd back to the burrow Harry was relieved to find the feeling gone but now he just could help but think about the incident with Malfoy. The feeling had been so strong then. Not to mention the very powerful smell of cologne that he now recognized as Malfoy's. Harry shook his head for probably the tenth time that day to clear his thoughts. There was no way that Draco Malfoy could possibly be his mate. Harry had refused to make direct eye contact with the blond out of caution. He didn't want to see if it was true or not. Though when he laid down much later to sleep all that filled his unconscious mind was thoughts of the pale, blond haired boy. As well as a few memories of goofing off with a familiar looking, pale, blond haired toddler.

. . . . . .

It was the day before Harry would be leaving for Hogwarts and he, along with Ron and Hermione, was staring a a package that had been delivered to him earlier that day.

"Why aren't you opening it?" Ron asked.

Hermione looked at him as if he was crazy, "Ron, how are we supposed to know that it's safe to open it!"

"Why wouldn't it?"

"It'd from our father Ron. Perhaps you haven't met him? Lord Voldemort, world known dark wizard and the reason of the last Wizarding war?"

Ron's face turned red of embarrassment.

Harry sighed and picked up the letter.

Hadrian,
I understand your uncertainties about me as I do not have the best reputation with the light, however I can assure you that I do not seek to kill you or I would
have done so when you were a baby. As for your concern of not being able to reply or receive any letters while Hogwarts is in term, I have sent a book, much like my diary, that will allow us to communicate while you are in school. As letters are not a very reliable way to talk regularly, use this book instead.
Father

"It's a book." Harry told them.

"Why would he send you a book?" Ron asked.

"He said it's like his Diary, so we can communicate without writing letters."

"How would he know you know what his diary is?" Hermione wondered aloud.

"I dunno..."

Harry got a sick feeling in his stomach at the thought, but nonetheless, he opened the package to reveal a dark blue, leather bound, notebook. He flipped through the pages and wasn't surprised to find them all blank, just like the diary. He assumed it would work the same way but he didn't feel like testing his theory out at the moment.

Harry and Hermione shared a look, both knowing what the other was thinking.

"You two are just like Fred and George when you do that." Ron complained.

Harry laughed, "We are twins Ron."

"Whatever."

The next morning everyone was packed, Harry and Hermione had their glamors up, just like they did whenever they were in public, and stood with Ron while the others floo'd onto the platform to join them. Once the said bye to Molly and Arthur, Harry, Hermione, and Ron made their way to an empty compartment. They stuffed their trunks away above their heads and flopped into their seats.

"This has been the best and worst summer I've ever had." Harry said with a short laugh.

"Same." Hermione agreed.

Ron shrugged, "I've had better"

Hermione playfully shoved his arm while they laughed.

"I'm just glad the dramas over." Harry sighed.

"Yoy still have he book, also what about your mate." Hermione pointed out.

Harry groaned, "I don't even want to think about my mate."

"Why?" Ron asked.

"I'm pretty sure I know who it is..."

Hermione jumped up. "Who?!"

Harry sighed and rubbed his temples, "Let's just say he's a big pain in the arse."

Hermione and Ron shared a look but dropped the subject.

The ride up to Hogwarts was peaceful. Harry bought treats from the trolley as usual and they talked and joked the entire way. When the train pulled into Hogsmeade station Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna got a carriage together.

Hermione poked Harry's arm.

He turned to look at her, "What?"

She gestured over behind them, "look."

Harry turned around to see Draco staring at him. Quickly avoiding his eyes Harry turned away.

"Draco, why do you keep staring at Potter?" Pansy pestered him.

Draco was shocked from his trance. He didn't know why he had been staring at Harry to be honest.

"Why would I be staring at Potter?" He spat the last word as he always did.

Pansy backed off and Draco went back into his thoughts. Why had he been staring at Harry anyway? And when did he start thinking of Harry as Harry?

Before the feast Harry resisted the urge to turn around. The feeling had been back since he stepped onto the platform and now it was almost as strong as it had been in the store. Hermione looked at Harry the looked around and saw Draco staring at him again. Her brain clicked as she put two and two together. She grabbed Ron's arm and whispered something in his ear. His eyes widened as he looked at the two. The first years were led in and the sorting began. Harry watched without much interest as the shaky kids sat on the stool and waited for the hat to decide their fates. Sometimes Harry wondered what it would've been like for him if he hadn't talked the hat out of putting him into Slytherin. When Dumbledore stood Harry couldn't help but glare at the man. He didn't even realize it but Harry was beginning to hate his headmaster. Harry never even noticed when Dumbledore had announced the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. By the time the food finally came around Harry occupied himself with eating, trying not to pay any mind to the fact that Dumbledore was watching him. There was no doubt in Harry's mind that the man saw the glare Harry was giving him and would most likely be calling Harry into his office in the next few days to talk to him. Harry sighed and picked up another piece of chicken.

This was going to be a long year.