Series 2 Chapter 19

The Real Truth
Series 2 Chapter 19

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table with Hermione to his left and Seamus on his right. Unfortunately, Ron happened to be sitting in front of Seamus and spent all his time, that wasn't spent cramming all the food he could into his mouth, glaring at Harry. Harry ignored this and focused on his acting, wanting it to look as realistic as possible. He didn't touch any of the food Hermione had piled onto his plate, he was hungry, but he'd stop by the kitchens for some food later instead. Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table, making eye contact with Draco who was sitting directly in front of him at the other table. Harry quickly looked away and glanced up at the head table. He looked at every professor that sat there before finally looking up at Dumbledore, who was looking at him too. Harry had stayed up late last night reading about Occlumency and held the gaze for as long as he dared, making sure to visibly stiffen the moment he and Dumbledore made eye contact, then looked back at his untouched plate of food.

"Harry, you have to eat something." Hermione pestered him.

"I'm not hungry." Harry replied, his eyes not leaving his plate.

Hermione sighed and shifted, so she was turned to Harry. He looked up at her.

"Harry James Potter, eat something now or I will forcefully stuff it down your throat." She told him sternly.

Ron, who'd heard this, intensified his glare towards Harry. Seamus wisely ignored this and continued his conversation with Dean, others followed his precedences.

"Seriously Hermione, you don't have to do that. I ate a lot on the train."

"For the love of Merlin, Harry, I sat in the same compartment as you, and I know for a fact that you didn't get anything from the trolly at all."

Harry resisted the urge to smirk. He knew Hermione had figured out now that this was planned and was playing along. He had, in fact, gotten a few sweets from the trolly. Not many, but a few.

"I'm fine 'Mione."

"Fine. But I better not see you start to starve yourself again."

Harry rolled his eyes and waited for the end of the feast. Not talking with anyone, glancing around the room, and sitting as still as he could. When the food finally disappeared for good Harry couldn't have been more grateful. He'd never realized how long dinner was and not talking to anyone and not eating made it feel a lot longer. He made his way to the common room with the rest of the Gryffindors and immediately went up to his dorm to start unpacking.

"Alright there, Harry?"

Harry glanced behind him to see Neville standing in the doorway, "What do you mean?"

"You've been acting off since you stepped onto the platform, also Ron won't stop glaring at you."

Harry visibly stiffened. He quickly finished unpacking then excused himself, "I'm fine Neville, if you'd excuse me I've been needing to talk to Dumbledore..."

Neville watched perplexed as Harry left.

Harry walked up to the Gargoyle and asked to see Dumbledore, that it was urgent. A few moments later the stairs appeared and Harry started going up them. Hesitantly he knocked on Dumbledore's door.