I'VE HAD STRINGS BUT NOW I'M FREE

The place had grown empty as more and more people left over time. The only ones that were left were the team, Maria, Rhodey, Helen Cho and her. The time could have been anywhere between twelve or four in the morning. No one really knew or bothered to care.

Elizabeth's headache had died down as more people left the party. The small group of people now sat scattered around on the couches and chairs in the middle of the room, talking amongst one another.

"Come on!" Clint groaned out as he twirled a pair of drumsticks in his hand. "It's a trick! He whoever so be he worthy shall have the power," he mocked in Thor's accent as he pointed to the gods hammer with his drum stick.

"Well then why don't you try it then," Elizabeth said playfully from her seat beside Thor. "Since you're just full of tricks."

Looking around and seeing everyone's encouraging looks, Clint agreed and stood up from his place by the couch. "Really?" he asked Thor with his hands spread in question.

"Be my guest," Thor said confidently as he jutted his chin toward the hammer that sat on the table that was littered with glasses of alcohol and half eaten food.

Clint shrugged and made his way toward the weapon with ease. He swapped the sticks into one hand and used his left hand to try and pull the hammer up. He tried with as much strength as he could muster but the hammer didn't even move an inch.

"I still don't know how you do it," Clint gave up with a shake of his head. This ensued the teasing from other members of the team as the archer made his way back to his seat.

"Do you smell the silent judgement?" Tony commented from his seat on the couch with a look toward Clint.

Rolling his eyes, Clint pointed toward Tony with a raised eyebrow. "Please, Stark." He began with an open hand toward the hammer. "By all means, go ahead."

Noticing everyone's look of doubt at the fact that he could lift it, Tony got up from his seat dramatically. "Never was one to shrink from an honest challenge," he announced to everyone with a smirk on his face.

Placing a hand on the handle, he found the proper grip. "It's physics," Tony explained simply as the others laughed around him. "So if I lift this, I'll rule Asgard?" He looked to Thor for confirmation who just nodded his head.

"I will make sure that there's a ten foot tall statue of me made out of gold," Tony said proudly before proceeding to pull on the hammer. Realising that he wasn't able to lift it, he relaxed his grip and took a step back. "Be right back," he muttered to everyone as he tried to brush of his failed attempt.

He came back minutes later with a piece of his suit on his right hand. Everyone watched in amusement as he tried to use the force from his suit to help, but just as before it was no use. "Rhodey, come on," He called on his best friend for help. "Get your suit, let's go."

"What's in it for me?" Rhodey questioned as he leaned further back into his seat.

"I'll make you your own statue," Tony persuaded with his grip still on the hammers handle. "I'll even add a little tank and everything," he added upon seeing his friends unconvinced look. Rhodey nodded before getting up and helping his friend out. Just as before, the two failed.

Bruce tried it out too. Attempting to turn green, he thought the Hulk would have a better shot than him. Another failed test. He took his loss like a champ, all good naturedly. Unlike Tony and Clint who were still whining about how it was rigged.

"Steve?" Elizabeth nudged her arm with his. He looked up from his lap to see everyone staring at him expectantly, waiting for him to try.

"Your turn, Cap." Maria Hill cheered him on as everyone agreed, watching him closely.