FAMILY

Elizabeth sat at the edge of the bed as she pressed the phone closer to her ear. The soft blanket of her bed shifting as she crossed her legs on the bed. She looked around the room as she listened to Bucky speak. The picture frame on the side of her bed that showed Sam and her smiling widely into the camera.

"Had another nightmare while you were gone," he told her anxiously over the phone.

She frowned at his words as she chewed the inside of her cheek. "You feeling okay now?" She asked worriedly while picking at the end of her cuffed jeans.

"It's been a couple of hours so I'm fine," he lied for her sake. Not liking when she fussed over him too much. "Just don't like the thought that I'm still what they made me to be," Bucky continued sadly. Knowing that what he said was true, that he still had everything they put inside him there.

Usually he would try to hold back on telling her what he was thinking. But when she was thousands of miles away from him he felt as if he would say anything to have her on the phone for a little while longer.

"Come on, you know you're not." Elizabeth tried to persuade him. "You're Bucky Barnes. Alpine's Bucky Barnes," she added with a smile when she heard him laugh lightly over the line. "And my Bucky too."

"But all they have to do is say those words," he argued with a glance at his cat that sat beside him. "Then I'm theirs again." Bucky cringed at the thought of going back to being their puppet and hurting the people that he cared about.

She shook her head at his words, mentally cursing herself for not being right there beside him. "How many times have I told you, I won't let that happen." Elizabeth assured him.

"As much as it pains me to say this," he began and Elizabeth heard the fear in his voice. "I don't think that's up to you," he continues.

Elizabeth had opened her mouth to respond when there was the rapid sound of knocks on her door. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the noise. "I have to call you back," she told Bucky quickly, not wanting anyone to hear.

"Okay," he agreed, hearing the loud knocks over the phone. "Love you," he added softly.

"Love you too," she muttered just in time for her bedroom door to open.

Pietro opened the door and looked at her cautiously as she hung up the phone. "Who is that?" He asked with a hand on the door.

"A friend," she replied curtly before pocketing her phone. "What's up?" She asked before standing up to make her way towards him.

"Didn't know you had any friends," Pietro commented under his breath before they both made their way out of her room, Elizabeth closing the door shut behind her. She rolled her eyes at his comment, asking him to get to why he called her.

The two of them walked down the halls of the compound as she spoke. "There is some people asking for you," he told her as they passed the training room. Seeing Sam and Wanda inside training together.

"Who?" She asked in confusion as she raised a hand to wave at the two in the training room. Everyone she knew was in this building right here, besides Bucky of course. So it confused her when she thought of who else could be looking for her.

Pietro merely shrugged at her question as he continued to lead her through out the compound. "They wouldn't say," he stated. "Only told me that they had to see you."

They came to a stop at the kitchen, where Pietro opened the refrigerator and took out some leftover pizza that they had. Elizabeth looked around the empty room expecting to find her guests somewhere around.