ALPINE THE CAT

The moment Elizabeth walked out the door Bucky knew that he was too late. He stared at the closed door with a frown on his face. His brain still not registering the words that she had said to him.

Never in his overextended life did Bucky Barnes think he would ever hear someone say the words 'I love you,' to him. Granted, she did add idiot behind it but that proved to himself that, he did in fact love her too.

Bucky got attached way too quickly. He knew it and somewhat hated that he did. Hated that he had found another person to burden all his problems with. But then again how could he not fall in love with her.

It was so easy and natural that he didn't realise he had fallen until he was in too deep. He realised it a month ago when they were back in Elizabeth's apartment in Washington. The first place that he felt like he could call home.

They were sitting side by side on the couch as the tv played some Disney movie that Elizabeth had wanted him to watch. Something about a rat cooking in the kitchen, which he knew wouldn't sit right with most people on reality.

Halfway through the movie there was a scene where the rat, Remy, was cooking in the kitchen while a calming French song played in the background. He understood most of the song, since in his training he had to learn multiple languages.

But he knew for a fact that Elizabeth didn't speak French. So when he heard soft muttering coming from his left he was surprised. Turning his head to look at her, he saw her muttering along with the song.

It wasn't even the proper words just complete and absolute gibberish and in a weird accent. But when he saw the smile on her face with her eyes full of joy he couldn't help but feel the grin on his face.

As if feeling that he was staring at her, she turned to meet his eyes. She stopped her light singing for a moment to laugh at him.

"What is it?" She had asked him with a smile. Not knowing what she was talking about he tilted his head for her to elaborate. "Why is your face like that?"

He laughed at her confused expression, the loving smile never dropping from his face. "Like what?"

"Like," he watched her try to find the words to describe whatever look he had on his face. "I don't know! It's your face, you're doing something with it!" Neither of them knew that he was looking at her with a face full of love and adoration.

He sent her an amused smile, his eyes looking at her softly. "Is it a good face?"

Elizabeth looked at him thoughtfully for a moment, tapping a finger to her chin exaggeratedly. "Yes," she finally answered with a grin on her face. "It's a cute face."

It was that moment that he knew he was in love with her. And he kept an eye on her as she went back to the movie. Watching her closely, taking note of every time she smiled or laughed. Making sure to engrave the sound into his head.

Bringing himself back to the empty apartment in Bucharest, he felt him curse himself in his head as he took a seat on the mattress in the corner of the room. Repeating what he said to her in his head he groaned before placing his head in his hands.

'A horrible decision'? Why on earth would he say that. It wasn't exactly wrong of course. What good would come out of her loving him? Bucky couldn't even think of anything at all.