AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

It was dark and Elizabeth felt like she couldn't breathe. She gave her eyes a couple of seconds to adjust to the dim lighting from the red emergency lights on what was left of the Avengers Compound. 

It was only when she made a move to sit up that she realised the mess she was in. On her chest was a large cinderblock that must've broken off from the walls during the bombing. Elizabeth groaned when she felt the pressure on her chest and used both of her scratched arms to push the debris off, letting her suck in some much needed oxygen. 

Standing up, she saw that she stood in the ruins of the lab they were in only minutes before. Or maybe it could have been hours, she didn't know. There was debris and glass everywhere, making a crunching sound with every step she took. A few feet away from her was a large hole in the ground that went through at least two floors below. 

She was careful as she stood by the edge of the hole, peering down below. "Hello? Guys?" Elizabeth called out, hearing her own voice echo back. There was the faint sound of running water, but other than that she got no reply. 

Elizabeth cursed under her breath as she ran around the room, trying to find anything that would help her get in contact with the rest of the team. Upon seeing her knife on the ground, she managed a small smile to herself as she picked the weapon up. Her eyes traced over the familiar engravings on the hilt before she put it back in its place on her dirtied suit. 

Her eyes scanned the room once more until she found what she was looking for. Elizabeth ran over to the corner of the room where a cabinet stood, somehow still intact. She rummaged through it until she found the small black earpieces kept in a jar. 

She activated the small device before placing it in her left ear, praying that the rest of the team had theirs in. "Anyone on comms?" She asked frantically, only getting some static in response. "You gotta be shitting me," she murmured when there was still no reply. 

"That's one hell of a mouth you got on you," a voice finally replied and Elizabeth let out a relieved laugh at the familiar  voice.

"Natasha," Elizabeth muttered to herself with a smile. "What happened to the place?" She asked in confusion, finally ready to get some answers on what caused this. 

Natasha was hesitant to reply. "Um, Thanos is back." 

Elizabeth could feel her heart stop beating for a second. They were so close, she thought bitterly. They could never have anything good. "Time travel stuff?" She asked, not caring to know about the details. All that mattered was that the grape man was back.

"Yeah," Natasha confirmed and Elizabeth heard the clanging of some pipes from the other end. "But I have the gauntlet with me, that's what he's after."

"What about the rest of the team?" Elizabeth asked just as there was the sound of loud thunder from above. 

"No idea where they are," Natasha said. "But, if you're still in the compound, you should  probably take a look outside." Over the radio, Elizabeth heard the sounds of unusual growling that didn't sound too friendly to her. 

The growling got louder and louder and Elizabeth grew worried. "Natasha?" Elizabeth questioned hesitantly. "What's going on?" Her face scrunched up, Elizabeth not liking how she couldn't see what was happening to her friend. 

"Find everyone else," Natasha whispered right before the comms went dead. 

For what must've been the hundredth time that day, Elizabeth swore under her breath. She took one more look at the ruined room around her, making sure that it was indeed empty before making her way over to the whole in the floor.