PROMISES

The jet was dark and dimly illuminated over the white lights in the walls. Sam was in the pilots seat as the jet took off into the night sky. Natasha stood across from Wanda who sat beside Vision.

Elizabeth worked on wrapping a roll of cloth around his wound. "Is the pain too much?" She asked Vision. "I can tone it down for you if you'd like."

"That's quite alright, Miss Grace." He thanked her, as polite as ever. She pursed her lips, wanting to offer once more but decided against it.

Natasha looked at both Wanda and Vision with a frown. "Now, I thought we had deal," Natasha chided in the same tone a mother would to their child. "Stay close, check in and don't take any chances."

Wanda hung her head sadly with a grimace. "I'm sorry," she apologized as she cradled Vision's hand in her own. "We just wanted time."

"Probably because you all move so slow," Pietro butted in from the seat across them. Elizabeth stood up once she was done dressing Visions wounds and moved to sit beside Pietro. She shoved his legs off the seat beside him harshly and sat down.

"Don't even get me started on you," Natasha told Pietro as she inspected the gash on Wanda's forehead. "I heard you ran all the way to Paris," she scolded.

Pietro gasped and turned to his sister accusingly. "You told on me?"

"You didn't bring us back the croissant," Wanda informed her twin with a smirk. "This is what you get."

Upon Natasha's questioning gaze, Pietro held his hands up defensively. "It was for a day and-" Elizabeth tuned out his excuse and looked to Sam who sat in the cockpit.

"Where to Cap?" Sam asked as he looked back at Steve, standing by the small window of the jet.

"Home."

***

"Mr. Secretary," Steve greeted with a slight nod of his head at the holographic projection of Thaddeus Ross.

The man tilted his head at the group with a frown. "You got some nerve," he spat out as he took a step toward them. His blue see through figure getting closer. "I'll give you that."

"And I bet you could use some of that right about now," Elizabeth retorted with a raised eyebrow.

"The world is on fire, and you think all is forgiven?" He scowled at her before moving his gaze back to Steve.

"Well we're not looking for forgiveness," Steve told the man with a downturned gaze. "And you can sure as hell bet I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way, we'll fight you too."

"Arrest them," Thaddeus Ross turned to Rhodey with a stern look.

Rhodey nodded with his arms over his chest. "All over it," he told the man before lifting a hand and swiping to the left, making the projection disappear. "That's a court martial," Rhodey told them with a sigh.

Despite his words, something told her that he wasn't going to go through with them. "But you're not really gonna arrest us, right?" She asked for confirmation.

"It's good to see you guys," Rhodey smiled at them all, answering her question. Steve moved forward and shook Rhodey's hand firmly. Natasha went in for a hug and Elizabeth stayed beside Wanda's side, nodding her head at him.

"Man," he started as he looked at them properly for the first time in two years. "You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam said with Vision's arm over his shoulder.

"I think you look great," a new voice piped up from the other room.