Chapter 14: Confronting Bong-Cha

"MY GRANDMOTHER IS IN THE HOSPITAL?!" Yumi asked in shock.

"I thought you knew! Why wouldn't you know?" Haneul asked, concerned.

"So that's why my mother called me and left me a million voicemails. I thought she was trying to apologize," she thought to herself. "Haneul, I have to talk to my mom. Thanks for telling me."

She quickly hung up and listened to the voicemails her mom left.

Message 1: "Yumi, I know you're angry at me or us but please! Your grandma just collapsed and I called the ambulance."

Message 2: "Yumi please! I'm assuming you haven't heard the first one otherwise you would've called back by now. I am at the hospital and your grandmother is getting checked out."

Messages 3-5: "Yumi, please call back!"

Message 6: "I'll be spending the night with your grandma in the hospital."

Message 7: "Yumi, I'll be in the hospital all day today. Please call me back! I know you're still angry but this is your grandma! She needs you."

Yumi dialed her mother on speaker as she began to get dressed.

"Mom I am so sorry I didn't answer. I had no idea something went wrong until Haneul called me," Yumi said.

"I told Mrs. Yang when I went to get breakfast at her place earlier," her mom replied.

"Is she at the hospital by the house?"

"Yes. Oh and as a heads up, Bong-Cha is with me."

"Whatever mom, I'm going for grandma. I'll see you in about a half hour."

Once at the hospital, Yumi awkwardly gave her mother a hug and unwillingly smiled at Bong-Cha.

"What has the doctor said about her?" Yumi asked.

"The doctor said they still need to run some more tests to see what the cause was but she's breathing and she's ok," her mother replied.

"What a relief! I'm glad to hear she's ok. When did the doctor say this?"

"Last night. They've been running tests since then."

"I'm going to go ask again. Which one is her doctor?"

"Dr. Park is taking care of her."

Yumi asked the nurse attendant to call for Dr. Park. When the doctor arrived, Yumi asked about updates. The doctor said that they had to run a couple more tests but that whatever her condition was, she would have to remain under constant supervision when she got out for probably the following year at the very least. Yumi thanked the doctor and went back to her mother and Bong-Cha to explain the situation.

"We should get a stay at home nurse for your grandmother. Bong-Cha and I will be at work most of the time so we won't be able to take care of her," her mother said.

"That's a great idea mom! And since the place you're getting is bigger, we could make the living room a bedroom for the nurse just for the year," Yumi shared.

"Or," Bong-Cha interrupted, "We could put her in a senior home where she will have constant supervision and she could even make friends with other people her age."

"Bong-Cha, that is a good suggestion but I don't have the heart to put my mother-in-law in a senior home. She should live with us; Yumi and I are all the family she has left since everyone else cut ties," her mother said.

"Yeah Bong-Cha, I don't want to put my grandmother in a senior home either," Yumi added.

"But if she was there, your mother and I could find another place with just one room instead of two so that rent would be cheaper for the both of us and we could help pitch into the senior home," Bong-Cha commented.

"Bong-Cha, you were so ok with the idea of Yoonah living with us, why are you pushing so hard for her to be away?" her mom asked.

"She's not your actual mother and now that she's sick I just think she would be better off surrounded by people who know how to properly care for her," Bong-Cha said.

"Not my actual mother? Who cares? That woman has been more of a mother to me than my own mother ever was! She has been there for me through my worst moments in life! When my husband passed away, multiple negative breakups, and my horrible manipulative relationship. She helped me raise Yumi when I had no idea what to do as a single mother. She has been my main support through everything. So no, I will not put Yoonah in a senior home!"

"Yeah mom! You tell her!" Yumi exclaimed.

"Don't you ever plan on us living alone together?" Bong-Cha asked.

"Alone? No. If you are going to be in my life you have to accept that Yoonah will be with me until she takes her last breath, my daughter will always be important in my life, and they will always be put above anyone else, including you Bong-Cha," her mother said.

"They can be a part of your life just...why must they always be so close? What about us?" Bong-Cha insisted.

"You know what? I'm starting to see that Yumi was right, you are trying to separate us. You can't accept that I have people other than you who I love and deeply care about."

"But baby..."

"Don't baby me Bong-Cha. Please leave and I never wish to speak to or hear from you ever again, we are over."

Bong-Cha didn't say anything in return, grabbed her purse, and quietly left the hospital with a blank expression on her face. Yumi's mom sat back down on the bench and let out a sigh.

"Wow! You rock mom! I didn't think you had it in you," Yumi said, surprised.

"I'm sorry I didn't see what you were telling me sooner, I should've listened to you."

"No mom, I'm sorry that I blew up on you and grandma, that was very out of line for me."

"It's ok sweetie, I know that it was frustrating for you and I'm sorry I made you go through that."

Yumi gave her mom a strong hug and her mother reciprocated.

"Did you really mean everything you said about grandma?"

"Of course I did, I love your grandma more than my own mother. You know how abusive your grandparents were to me and they never agreed to me being with your dad but when I met Yoonah, I knew that I was making the right decision marrying your father."

"Aww mom, you're going to make me cry."

"You know Yumi, I don't think we'll get an at home nurse. I want to take care of your grandmother. I'll get a computer job I can do from home so I can be with her all the time."

"Are you sure mom?"

"I have never been more sure of anything in my life."

Yumi's mom laid her head on Yumi's shoulder and closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. As her mother was asleep, Jin called her but she declined the call and texted him saying she was at the hospital because of her grandmother and to please tell the others. Jin replied saying he hopes her grandma will come out well and that if she needed help with anything, they would be there for her. A little while later, Dr. Park approached Yumi and her mom. Yumi woke up her mom so they could both listen to the doctor.

"I finished running tests for Yoonah and we know what caused her to faint," he said.

"Is she going to be ok?" Yumi asked.

"I am very sorry to inform you but, she has stage four lung cancer."