Chapter 23: An Unfortunate Coincidence

Yumi took off her mask and hat at the arrival of Kimi's house but she told Jungkook to stay in his disguise and to let her do the talking first. He agreed and they rang the doorbell. Kimi's mother let them inside and said that Kimi was in her room. She opened Kimi's door enough to peek her head inside to see if she was alright before letting them in.

"I have Minji's daughter here with me Kimi, she wants to talk to you," Kimi's mother said in a sweet voice.

"Ugh, why is she here? She ruined my life!" Kimi snapped back.

"I'm terribly sorry, she's been like this since the party. I wish you luck getting through to her," Kimi's mother apologized before letting them inside.

Yumi and Jungkook entered the room and her walls were full of BTS posters. However, Jungkook's face had either been scribbled on or crossed out on all of the posters except one of them that was from the "Butter" era. There was also a pile of Jungkook's photocards in the trash bin at the room's entrance.

"Hi Kimi," Yumi said sweetly.

"Only my friends can call me Kimi and you're not my friend. I am Kimiko to you," Kimi said.

"Sorry, Kimiko. Listen, I know you posted that video and those photos of me with Jungkook."

Kimi turned to face Yumi and she noticed Jungkook standing next to her but could only barely see his eyes from the mask and bucket hat covering his face.

"Who's the guy?" Kimi asked.

"Oh, this is my friend," Yumi told her with a smile.

"Whatever, why are you guys here?"

"I told you, you posted the video and photos."

"And what about it?"

"Why did you do that?"

"Because Jungkook is my boyfriend."

Kimi turned around in anger with her arms crossed. Jungkook tugged on Yumi's shirt and gestured with his eyes that he wanted to say something. She mouthed "I got this" to him before speaking to Kimi again.

"What do you mean he's your boyfriend?"

"Jungkook and I were in a very happy relationship until you came along and he cheated on me."

"Oh, I was not aware Jungkook had another girlfriend. How long have you been with him?"

"Well I'm not with him anymore but I started to date him several months after "Butter" was released."

"Did you guys go on a date?"

"No."

"Have you talked to him at all?"

"Sort of..."

"And how are you so sure that he's your boyfriend?"

Kimi turned around to face Yumi and Jungkook again.

"I sent a DM to the Twitter account of the BTS members because they followed my fan page. I said in the DM that if Jungkook accepted to be my boyfriend, to post a selfie that day. He then posted a selfie that same day and I knew he had accepted to be my boyfriend."

"Hey friend, I think you can reveal yourself now," Yumi told Jungkook.

He took his mask and bucket hat off. He shook his head a little to fix his hat hair briefly. Kimi's eyes widened as she saw him but then immediately grew angry.

"Oh so you're here to apologize? You couldn't do it the day of the party could you? I knew posting the photos would get your attention! I had to expose you for the lying and cheating boyfriend that you are!" Kimi yelled at him.

"Kimiko," he began calmly, "I'm sorry that you have been hurt by what is going on but I was never your boyfriend to begin with."

"What?" she said as tears began to form in her eyes, "But my DM...and the selfie...all of that meant nothing to you?"

"I never saw your DM and that selfie I posted was a coincidence. Even if I did see it, I wouldn't have accepted because you're 16 and I'm almost 26. That's a 10 year age gap and you're still a minor. I deeply apologize."

"So...you're saying that this whole time...I've been living a fantasy?"

"Sadly, yes."

Kimi dropped to her knees and began to sob into her hands. Jungkook kneeled on the floor next to her.

"Do you want a hug Kimiko?" he said as he opened his arms.

Kimi looked in his direction and gave Jungkook a big hug and he hugged her back. She cried into his chest and relaxed after several minutes of crying and pulled back. Yumi watched from a distance and took a seat on the chair in front of Kimi's vanity.

"You didn't ruin my life, I ruined your's," Kimi finally spoke.

"You didn't ruin my life, Kimiko, but you did jeopardize my image a little," he told her kindly.

"Is there anything I can do to fix it?"

"Don't stress about it, just please don't do it again."

"I promise!"

They then both stood up from the floor and Kimi sat on her bed as Jungkook observed the ruined posters around them. He walked up to the "Butter" poster and pointed it at it.

"I don't remember ever seeing this poster as merch," Jungkook commented.

"It's probably an unofficial poster, Jungkook, people make them all the time. I used to sometimes because I could never afford the real ones," Yumi shared.

"Yeah, it is unofficial," Kimi pointed out.

"Why did you not scratch my face out on this one?" Jungkook asked.

"My dad got it for me in America before I moved back here to Seoul with my mom. It was also my first piece of any kind of merchandise I ever owned. I didn't have the heart to ruin it, regardless of how mad I was at you, because it's one of the few things I have to remind me of my dad."

"You miss your dad, don't you?" Jungkook asked her.

Kimi nodded.

"You only moved here because you thought Jungkook was your boyfriend right?" Yumi asked.

Kimi nodded again.

"I really miss my dad. Now that I have no reason to be here, I think I want to move back. I also miss my friends in America and I haven't seen them in two years."

"I think that's a great idea Kimiko. You should talk to your parents about it," Yumi said, "C'mon Jungkook, let's head out and give them privacy."

"One sec," he said.

He grabbed a permanent marker from Kimi's pencil case and then autographed and dated the poster for her.

"It's not official BTS merch but it's officially Jungkook approved," he said with a smile.

Kimi ran up to him and thanked him with a strong hug. She apologized again and then they said their goodbyes. Yumi and Jungkook put on their masks and bucket hats again before going back to the dorm building.

"That was very sweet of you Jungkook," Yumi commented in the car.

"What part?" he asked.

"All of it."

Yumi noticed Jungkook was driving with one hand and she reached over to hold his empty hand when they stopped at a red light. They briefly made eye contact and Jungkook squeezed her hand tightly and they stayed like that for the remainder of the ride as they chatted about what to prepare for dinner when they got back.