Chapter 16: Changes

*Time skip ahead to early November 2021*

    Yumi's grandmother had been attending chemotherapy once a week for the past two months and her body was responding well. She had to sleep a little more than usual and her hair fell out but other than that, she was totally normal. Yumi's grandmother demanded of Yumi and her mother to move out of the apartment and to continue with that plan despite both of them saying it would be too much for her.

"I want you all to continue your lives as normal, don't let me get in the way of it," she sternly told them one night.

    As her grandmother wished, Yumi and her mother searched for another place to move into. The landlord of the first place they looked at told them that another person took the apartment they wanted but that he had another one available that had a slightly bigger space to fit a dining room that could seat four people for a little bit extra per month. Yumi calculated her budget and realized they would be able to afford it and signed the lease on the apartment. During the month of November, they focused on the move and decorated in early December just in time for Christmas and the New Year. They invited their friends over to the new place to celebrate both occasions and before they knew it, 2022 arrived; the boys returned from tour halfway through January and Yumi moved back into the dorms. They all prepared for Jin's leave at the start of February.

Author's Note: I know it has been mentioned that maybe BTS will enlist in 2022 together rather than Jin going alone but this is how I want it to be for the purposes of my story.

    Yumi slowly got back on track with her cooking schedule and the boys adjusted back to the dorm and rested after the tour. Yumi called her grandmother almost every night to check on her and accompanied her to her chemo sessions on Sundays. Yumi had been keeping constant contact with Jungkook during their tour and they had gotten closer in person now that she was back in the kitchen. Jungkook helped her often and Jin did it very sparsely because he told her that he wanted to rest before leaving for the military. In reality, he was trying to stay away from Yumi as much as possible because he knew he would miss her more if they spent time together. In those few weeks before Jin left, she was finally able to manage her feelings.

"Hey Jungkook, can we talk?" she asked him one night after dinner.

"Of course, want to talk in my room?" he asked her.

"Sure, let me just finish up cleaning the kitchen and I'll meet you there."

    Jungkook grabbed a banana milk and Yumi finished up doing the dishes before going to Jungkook's room. She sat down on his desk chair and Jungkook sat on the edge of his bed.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" he asked her.

"Well...I am so sorry I have kept you waiting for so long but you know how I was feeling about Jin and all that. Then when you guys were away, the situation with my grandma happened and I really didn't know what to think until now that some time has gone by since you guys came back."

"I'm assuming you have made up your mind about what you want to do with me, correct?"

    Yumi nodded.

"And what did you decide?"

"I came to the conclusion that I really like you Jungkook and I want to pursue a relationship together."

    Jungkook grew a smile as he continued speaking to Yumi.

"I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear you say that, but are you sure?"

"I am. Having you and Jin around again really reminded me about who has been there for me the most from the start. You have helped me out more than Jin, we talked the most while you were gone, and Jin doesn't even like me so why bother trying to go for someone who doesn't reciprocate my efforts when you're right there?"