Chapter 15: Treatment

"Stage four lung cancer? But she never showed any symptoms!" her mother said.

"Sometimes, cancer patients show little to no symptoms until the cancer has spread far too much in their bodies for them to handle. At her age, I am amazed she's made it this far," Dr. Park informed them.

"Can we treat it?" Yumi asked.

"We can give her treatment to slow the spread but at her age, it is unlikely her body will be able to handle them."

"I hate to ask this but, how long does she have with her condition?" her mom asked.

"Without treatment, if she's lucky, she can make it another six to eight months. With treatment, if her body can sustain it, she can have anywhere from another year to a year and a half left. I am terribly sorry about this."

"Thank you Dr. Park. We need time to think about this," her mother said.

"Of course. We will hold her here for another day to monitor her vitals. After that, she would only have to come back for treatment if you wish to go through with it but if not, she can take painkillers if she needs them but that's all she can do. I will leave you both to discuss."

"Can we see her?" Yumi asked.

"Yes. She should be awake soon."

"Thanks again."

Dr. Park walked away and left Yumi and her mother on the bench.

"What are we going to do mom?"

"We should let your grandmother decide what she wants to do. It is her own body after all. I'll talk to her, she needs to hear it from me."

Yumi nodded and her mother walked into the hospital room to talk to Yoonah. Yumi stepped outside of the hospital and dialed Jungkook, hoping he would answer.

"Hey Yumi! I heard about your grandmother, we're all sending our best wishes," he said kindly.

"Am I interrupting anything?" she asked.

"We're on break before our next show in an hour."

"Oh ok. That's cool."

"What about your grandmother? Any news?"

"Umm...yes there's news."

"Good or bad?"

Yumi couldn't say anything because of a knot in her throat and she began to cry over the phone. Jungkook grew concerned.

"Yumi! What's wrong? Tell me what happened, I hate to hear you cry."

"I don't want my grandmother to die Jungkook. She has been my second mom and my dad all at once. She raised me my whole life and I can't believe she has lung cancer!" Yumi said between tears.

"Oh my gosh Yumi! I am so sorry to hear that! This must be really hard for you and your mother but she can get treated right?"

"The doctor said she could live a year and a half max with treatment if her body can sustain the chemo and without it, eight months."

"Will you guys give her the treatment?"

"We're going to let her decide if she wants it and we'll respect her decision."

"What about the move and Bong-Cha?"

"They broke up this morning and we're going to have to suspend the move. My grandma is in no condition for big life changes right now."

"Jesus Yumi, I am so sorry. Do you want me to tell the others?"

"Please, you're all my friends and I want you all to be informed but, can I talk to Jin?"