Chapter 28: Baby Shower

"We're really having twins?" Yumi asked.

"Mhm. And it looks like..." Dr. Park said as the machine moved on her uterus, "This one on the left is a girl and the one on the right is...a boy! Wow! You got one of each! That's actually pretty common amongst fraternal twins."

"Aww, they're not going to be identical?" Jin asked with a small pout on his face.

"From the way it looks, no. But just because they're not in the same amniotic sac doesn't mean they're not identical, it's just less likely."

"Are the babies ok?" Yumi said.

"Yes! They look very healthy and the appropriate size for four months."

Yumi and Jin were relieved to hear that the babies were doing alright. They requested prints of the ultrasound images before waiting for them in a private room. In the private room, Yumi received a text from her mom asking Yumi and Jin to go to her apartment to share the news of the baby's gender.

"My mom is going to flip out when she finds out about the twins," Yumi commented.

They talked a bit about different possible names and ended up picking them pretty quickly since they both had suggestions they liked and agreed on. Then they planned a baby shower and made an invite list on Jin's phone. By the time they finished chatting about that, the ultrasound photos had been printed and they were free to go. The chauffeur was outside waiting for them to go to Minji's apartment. Jin put on his disguise items again and they left the hospital.

When they arrived at Minji's apartment, they knocked on the door and Minji invited them inside. As soon as the door closed behind them, people yelled "Congratulations" and a few confetti poppers went off and music started to play softly in the background. Behind everyone was a sign that read "Congrats on your baby."

"Mom...explanation please?" Yumi asked.

"Surprise baby shower!" Yumi's mom replied with a smile.

"So this is why you wanted us to come here. To share the info with everyone."

"Well! Am I having a granddaughter or a grandson?"

Jin and Yumi exchanged a look before answering together.

"Both!" they exclaimed.

"Both? How is that..." Yumi's mom said as her brain began to think hard.

When she came to the realization, she smiled brightly and gave Jin and Yumi a big hug. She then turned around to look at the guests. That's when Yumi and Jin were able to look at who had attended. Yumi's mom's friends, Kimiko and her mother, the other BTS members, and Bong-Cha (last seen in Chapter 14).

"They're having twins! One of each!" Yumi's mother exclaimed.

Everybody in the apartment cheered and approached Yumi to feel her belly. Everyone was so kind and asked about the babys' names. Jin and Yumi chose to keep them a secret for the time being but told everyone else that they were still thinking about name suggestions. The only person who didn't approach was Bong-Cha. When everyone else was done, Yumi asked her mother to speak in private. They went into her bedroom and closed the door.

"Mom...what is Bong-Cha doing here? I thought you told her good riddance," Yumi began with her arms crossed.

"I know that it seems bad but I promise it's not," Yumi's mother explained.

"I'm not mad mom, you're free to talk to whoever you'd like. I just want to know why she's here at my baby shower and why you didn't bring her up."

"If I told you you'd see her, that would've ruined the surprise. But also because she only communicated with me earlier this week. She apologized about trying to separate us and asked to be friends, nothing more. I told her about your grandmother and your pregnancy. She was very understanding of everything and it reminded me about how much I liked telling her things because she's compassionate. I invited her here to see her again and to have fun while doing so."

Yumi had relaxed her stance and had taken a seat on the bed from standing too long as her mother explained the situation. She sighed before speaking to her mom.

"Alright mom, if you want to talk to Bong-Cha then it's all good with me. But if she does anything to keep us apart again, I am getting a restraining order."

"Don't worry, I support you on that. I'm just testing the waters with her again."

"Thanks for telling me mom. We should go back out there. It isn't a baby shower without a pregnant woman."

They walked back outside to rejoin the crowd. Yumi thanked everyone for attending and as she did, she caught up with some people. Haneul apologized that his mom couldn't make it because of work but his photography business was going great and so was the restaurant. He even offered Yumi a maternity shoot if she wanted it to which she said she'd talk it out with Jin. Next, she talked to Kimiko who should've been back in America with her dad but Kimi explained that she wanted to finish the school year and stay for the summer before going back. Lastly, she talked to Bong-Cha. It was a little awkward at first but eventually, they got on ok terms.

When she finished talking to everyone, Yumi's mother brought out the cake to share with everyone and then they gathered in the living room to open presents. Since nobody knew what the babies were going to be before arriving, most of the items were gender neutral colors like yellow, mint green, and white. They received diapers, baby clothes, blankets, pacifiers, toys, teething chew toys, a diaper bag, and several gift cards to baby stores where Jin and Yumi could make their own selections. When the gifts were finalized, everyone began to say their goodbyes to head back to their respective homes. The boys asked if Jin and Yumi wanted a ride back to the dorm but they passed to spend some more time with Minji. Once everyone was gone, Yumi and Jin sat back down in the living room with Yumi's mother.

"Mom, we want you to be the first person to know about the babies' names," Yumi said.

"You already picked them out? That was quick! I heard you tell everyone you weren't sure yet," Minji commented.

"We said that because we want to keep it a secret for now but we want to share with you since you're the most important person to Yumi," Jin shared.

"That reminds me! I am so sorry I didn't invite your family Jin. I didn't know how to reach them."

"It's ok, I'm sure they'll throw their own baby shower for my side of the family," Jin replied with a smile.

"Ok mom, are you ready?" Yumi asked.

"Yes, yes! Tell me! I am dying to know!"

"For the girl, we picked Soo-Yun which means perfect lotus blossom. I have always liked that name for a girl and I pictured my first (and possibly only) daughter to have that name," Jin said.

"And for the boy, we picked Hyun-Woo," Yumi shared.

Minji's hand went to her chest as she felt her heart skip a beat.

"Just like your father! Oh Yumi! That's such an amazing way to honor him. I'm sure your father would've loved it. Also Jin, Soo-Yun is a gorgeous name. I am positive she will bloom into an amazing woman because of you two."

"And because of you too mom. Don't think you're gonna get out of teaching me all the motherly things," she said with a giggle.

"I learned them from Yoonah, you know that."

"I really wish grandma could've been here to see this. I bet she would've loved to be a great-grandmother."

"I know she's with us Yumi, she always will be."

Minji held one of Yumi's hands and Jin held her other hand. They sat there with huge smiles on their faces.

"I love you guys," Yumi said to break the silence.

"I love you too," Jin and Minji replied at the same time.

With that, Jin and Yumi packed their gifts in the chauffeur's car and went back to the dorm.