86:Almost

Hikaru

It was another one of those shitty cold days.

The kind of days where the wind blew and whistled in his ears in low, long groans. It left behind a high pitched ringing in his ears. A reminder of the damage that the loud sounds could cause to his ageing eardrums.

The wailing winds were, however, not as loud as the voice of his father through the speakers of his phone.

"Hikaru-kun!"

His father spoke in their native Japanese tongue with that particular honorific attached to his name. It was a stinging reminder of his age, of how he was still young and naive. A reminder that he had to listen. That he had to pay respect. That he was still obliged to listen to his father like a small child.

"Just do this for me, try it out once."

"Dad, are you kidding me?" Hikaru sighed, raising his voice so that he could be heard over the sound of the wind.

He spluttered as droplets of rain entered his mouth and landed on his tongue. His mind drifted to the videos of the effects of acid rain on the human body. His face scrunched together into a wince as a morbid thought of his melting tongue flashed through his mind.

His melting, corroding tongue.

"Hikaru, it's just a matchmaking agency for the people without soulmates!" His father said, sounding a little exasperated. "It's very credible and safe, I promise that there won't be any repercussions on your reputation." His father continued, pleading for Hikaru to listen to him.

Goddamnit. Hikaru pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to keep his emotions together. He did not want this. Did not want to find love in the widowed, did not want to find love from those like him. What he wanted was that girl in the restaurant—

He stopped himself before his mind could continue, stopped himself before his creativity could flourish and his thoughts could spread. Thoughts that would surge through his body and jolt his flaccid cock alive, turning it into a sticky mess of precum for hours on end.

He'd had to deal with that for more than a month now and with each passing day, he prayed for his body to forget her. For his mind to forget her like how he forgot the hundreds of faces he saw each day.

For now, he would have to try not to think about her.

Keyword? Try.

"It's not my reputation that I'm worried about," Hikaru replied, shaking his head. His brows furrowed as he stomped his way across the street and against the roaring wind. "I'm just not interested!" He exclaimed, pressing his lips together into a thin angry line. "If I'm not meant for a soulmate in this world then so be it!"

The last bit came out in a snappish tone and Hikaru faltered feeling a little guilty for taking out his anger on his father. His father loved him and cared for him. He wanted him to be free from the chains that bound him away from pure happiness.

It wasn't his father's fault that he was in this predicament. It was just the way the stars of his fate were aligned. It was simply just the way the world worked like how the sky was blue and the leaves were green.

He was past the point of caring about soulmates anymore. The pain that had once crippled his entire being was now a dull thrum. That pain that had felt as if his heart had been gouged out from his chest, had turned into soft unnoticeable aches, like a deep muscle strain.

"Hikaru...Your mother would have wanted you to experience love," his father said softly, his voice trailing off at the thoughts of his own soulmate who had passed before her time.