33: one

"His soulmate appears to be younger than him." The older woman shook her head sadly. "We should have done something else instead of the party. Something like what you're doing right now." The woman glanced up, pain flickering in her eyes.

Oh shit. Amber pursed her lips together, not knowing what to say. One's 20th birthday was usually a cause for celebration. Simply because it was very, very rare for one to not receive their soul bond on their birthday.

It was such a rare phenomenon that usually people would go all out when it came to their 20th birthday. Amber winced. Her parents had offered to do so for her. They had initially wanted to invite all their relatives over for a meeting.

Her son must have had a celebration of sorts, only to disappoint all of the guests when he was later revealed to be the people on the waiting list.

"He's passed the one year mark just a few months back. I tell him that it's fine. Stop worrying so much and be patient. After all, I had to wait for six years before I met his father! But, he's quite convinced he'll have to live alone." The lady said with a sigh, shaking her head.

Amber glanced at her, clearing her throat. "To be honest, one year is quite alright. There's a fairly decent chance his soulmate isn't," she struggled to find the right word. "Indisposed."

Indisposed. Aka long dead from some unlucky event. The percentages for this depended on the global situation. It increased when there was a pandemic or a war, which resulted in the rising death toll. The numbers fell when there was peace and harmony. However, car accidents still happened.

"I know!" The lady nodded vigorously. "But, it's probably because all of his best friends have no soulmate. It pained him to see them lose hope over the years, and he didn't want to be like them. According to him, it saves him the heartache."

"That's really sad. He shouldn't give up so quickly." Amber frowned

"I think so too. Anyway, don't worry dear." The woman smiled brightly. "I'll keep an eye out for you as well."

"Thank you. I'll really appreciate it. I trust Miri but it'll be nice to have someone help her out." Amber glanced at her best friend who was busy sending kissy-face selfies to Deok-Su.

"Maybe you're my son's soulmate."

Amber blinked, her eyes snapping to the older lady's. She was grinning cheekily, mirth dancing in her brown eyes.

"Um, ma'am. I would love that but—"

"I'm joking!" The older lady giggled, shaking her head as she smiled. "And call me Da-hee."

"Oh, I'm Amber. It's a pleasure to meet you Da-hee."

They shook hands on it.

The music was growing louder and louder, and anticipation flickered Amber's frame as she stood to take a look at the stage. Energy crackled in the air, and excitement fluttering within her frame. It was time.

Amber turned her gaze to her surroundings, watching as the light sticks began to glow. They pulsated in time with the beat, spreading across the stadium in waves and waves of colour. The orbs of colour were like miniature fireflies that danced across the sea of darkened bodies with each pulse of the music.

The lights went out and the crowd screamed. She watched enraptured as jets of fire burst forth from the stage, smoke spilling from the depths of the darkness and the crowd going crazy. They surged forward like a tsunami, pressing onto her body and pushing her forward, but Amber didn't care.

The beginning tunes of their latest song began to play and spotlights flickered on all at once. Her breath was strangled from her body as the seven men stepped out looking like gods from the heavens.