𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 <9>

NANCY WHEELER, WAS ANYTHING BUT ATHLETIC. Steve couldn't understand why his girlfriend was throwing a baseball bat around like a toy when he first approached her in her garage.

"Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa, whoa." He screamed in utter shock as he ducked the forceful wack Nancy had sent his way.

"What are you doing here?" She exhaled sharply feeling the same amount of surprise as him.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"I hope that's not meant for me."

"What?" Nancy replied awkwardly. "No. Oh, no I was just . . . thinking about joining softball." Nancy lied. She didn't want Steve to find out what she was really up to, she didn't want him to get involved. He already had enough on his plate with Alice.

"Any word about Alice yet?" Nancy asked taking in another sharp breath.

"No," Steve began. "not yet anyway. Hopper says they won't stop looking, but . . . I don't know, it all seems weird." Steve sighed. He was really stressed.

"What do you mean?" Nancy replied curiously.

"He wouldn't let me help look for her. And I'm her brother. Why would he keep me out of it?"

"It's Hopper. Are you really that surprised?"

"This is different, Nancy. This is serious. Alice is missing. And he told me to go home and forget about it. It's not that easy!"

"I know. I know." Nancy replied reaching out softly for the boy's shoulder. "And he'll find her."

"What about your parents?"

"I don't know. My dads' more worked up about his trip than Alice. He thinks she's just doing it for attention."

Nancy always felt bad for Steve and Alice. She hadn't released how messed up the Harrington's life was until after she got closer with Steve. She had always deemed them as perfect, but getting closer with Steve she learned that was far from the truth.

"Why would she do it for attention?"

Steve sighed wrapping his hand in his hair. "Cause my dad is a dick and doesn't want to come from his trip early. He's just making shit up to try and get my mom to stay out longer."

Steve paused taking a moment to think. "Hey, why don't we catch a movie tonight. You know? To take our minds off things."

Nancy looked at the boy with disbelief.

"Just kind of pretend everything is normal for a few hours. All the right moves is still playing. You know, your lover boy from Ricky Business?"

Nancy chuckled softly causing Steve to break out in a smile.

"Yeah, I know."

"You know, Carol thinks I actually kinda look like him. What do you think? Huh?"

Nancy interrupted him awkwardly sending him a sympathetic smile. "I just, I . . . I don't think I can. I've been really busy with this whole funeral thing and . . . with my brother, it's been really hard on him. He's missing his two best friends."

"Yeah, sure. Sure, yeah, yeah." Steve agreed nodding his head along with her.

"So . . ."

"I should go." Steve replied.

"Sorry."

"I'll call you later. Is that okay?" She added leaning towards a compromise.

He nodded softly tipping his head down for a kiss. "Yeah. Yeah, of course."