𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 <38>

AS MUCH AS ALICE LOVED SLEEPOVERS, tonight she was really not feeling it. Wrapped up in Max's blue oversized T-shirt, Alice still didn't feel like she was home. Not only did she feel sick due to being out in the rain for so long but she also felt sad. Knowing that the feeling of his presence was right and that the shadow monster had somehow returned again made her feel terrible.

The same creature who was responsible for her mothers death, and tonight she looked it in the eye and done nothing about it. She wanted to kill it for what it did to her. It had caused her so much pain, destruction, depression. She wanted nothing more than to see the same happen to him.

Alice didn't feel in the mood to join in with the other girls. She felt she would only end up snapping at them if they spoke. She just wanted to sit alone with her thoughts that were currently eating her up.

Alice was on thin ice from snapping at Max most of all. After seeing her brother and Heather completely undamaged she had decided that she didn't believe the shadow monster was back.

Alice had never had a problem with Max not trusting her with something before so to say it stung was an understatement. Max just kept repeating how they saw them and they were fine, Heather was sick before and now she's better.

What hurt even more was that meant she clearly thought Alice was making it up. She understood Max would be upset over this, but she was being mean about it. She didn't have to make Alice and Eleven feel like idiots.

"Hey," Max spoke up on the bed to El. Alice had her back turned to the pair and was lying on an air mattress on the floor. It was cooler down there. It was still raining heavily outside, the echo of the rain was louder than the voices in the room.

"There's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Alice rolled her eyes. She was sick of hearing those words. It took her a lot of guts to tell them what she did earlier and now Max was just pretending like it didn't happen.

"It doesn't make sense." El stated.

"What doesn't make sense?"

"Heather. Alice. The blood. The ice."

"Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now. That has to be it. I don't know where the blood came from or what happened with Alice, but we saw her. We all saw her. She's totally fine."

Alice couldn't hold her mouth any longer. She shots up from her mattress and turned to face them. "So, what? Me and El are lying, and what we saw and felt was just a coincidence?"

Max felt bad. She hadn't meant to make Alice feel like she didn't trust her, she just didn't want to accept the fact that there could be something seriously wrong with Billy.

"I'm not saying that." She said meeting Alice's eyes. She was honestly a little scared of Alice when she was angry, this had never happened to her before.

"That's what it feels like." Alice turned back round on her mattress, giving her the cold shoulder.

After their disagreement, Alice shut her eyes and attempted to get to sleep as fast as possible. She really wasn't in the mood to hear what Max had to say. She'd wait until the morning because hopefully by then she would have calmed down.

Luckily for her, sleep came for her fast. She was out like a light that night for the first time in a long time.

.

"Do you copy? This is a code red. I repeat, this is a code red. Max. Do you copy?"

Alice groaned hearing the familiar voice of Lucas Sinclair. He had been trying to contact the girls since seven in the morning. He had tried Alice's radio for the first half hour but after releasing she wasn't picking up, he moved onto Max. He was getting ready to give up and visit their houses in person before finally, Max picked up.