𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 <33>

A SUMMER IN HAWKINS WAS LIKE NO ORDINARY SUMMER. Ever since last year things had been different. Nothing was the same like it was before. Without her mother life had been tough. When Alice was younger, she didn't think she'd miss her mother much if she was to go missing. How wrong she was indeed.

She envied the little girl she was a year ago. She was innocent and totally oblivious to the events which were about to occur. Alice didn't expect to miss her mother as much as she did. But Jennifer Harrington was everywhere she looked.

She hated being in her own house these days for she was reminded of her mother everywhere. She didn't like passing her mother and father's bedroom door. It made her feel empty knowing it was hardly ever used anymore.

Even when Alice attempted to forget about her mother other ways such as drowning herself in the public eye, she often ended up feeling just as lonely. Mothers and their children were everywhere she looked. It hurt seeing people so happy. She deserved to feel that too. But she couldn't. Not without her.

At the beginning of the loss Alice spent at least one hour a week by her grave, talking. She felt it connected her to her mother. If she could talk to her still she wasn't truly gone. She liked to keep her mother's grave pretty too. She decorated it with fresh roses every now and again. Some pink, some white and some red. Jennifer could never decide a favourite.

As the year went on Alice found herself spending less time at the grave. She perhaps finally came to terms with the fact her mother wasn't coming back. Or perhaps she found other ways of coping with the death which made her feel better.

Still, things hadn't been all bad. Eleven was officially back, which meant now there were three girls in the party. Max, Eleven and Alice. It's not as if Alice and Max spent much time with Eleven. The girl spent nearly all her free time with Mike and hardly ever was allowed to leave her cabin where she lived with Hopper. This built up a lot of tension between Max and El, considering they had never really had a proper conversation with each other so it made things awkward.

And where to begin with Lucas Sinclair, well. Alice and Lucas spent their time together nearly all the time. Things seemed to be going in the right direction, but there was one tiny problem. Lucas still hadn't asked Alice out. To say she was confused was an understatement. They acted like they were together, they kissed all the time, and they hung out like couples did. Went on dates and he spoke to her as if they were together.

But they weren't. And Alice made sure to remind him of that. At first she thought it could have been because he assumed they were together, but after reminding him they weren't together he still had yet to ask her the question.

Steve's advice to Alice was to ask him about it. There was a few times when Alice was so upset over his mixed signals that she'd end up in his bedroom crying. Steve wanted to hate Lucas for the upset he cased his little sister, but he couldn't for he was once the stupid Lucas Sinclair, too scared to ask the girl he loved out.

Steve even advised that maybe Alice could be the one to ask Lucas out. She looked at her brother as if he was crazy. There was no chance in hell she was asking him. She wanted him to ask her. Not the other way around.

In the truth, Lucas hadn't asked her because he felt Alice needed some time and space to get over her mothers death. He knew he shouldn't have pushed her away, he thought that's what she would have wanted. But he soon found it wasn't when she came to his window late at night begging for him to let her in so she wasn't alone.

Steve was always working late and Henry spent nighty percent of his life away from home these days. Alice suspected that he actually was feeling the effects too of the loss of Jennifer. She could tell from his face he was hardly sleeping and he was a lot thinner than he used to be. Or maybe that was just because Jennifer wasn't around to baby him anymore.