第12章 (Chapter 12)

Shikamaru wished Naruto a goodnight and started to head home himself, mentally and physically ready to talk with Neji. Or so he thought.

One step.

Another.

And another.

Step by step, he was getting more close to his residence. His mind wandered from topic to topic, ultimately leading up to Neji and him kissing his forehead before he left. 

Why? Why did he do that, if I recall, friends don't kiss each other on the forehead... right? Or am I going insane?

He couldn't stop thinking. 

Neji is a guy who believes in destiny and used to be cold and harsh, especially towards Hinata. But, Shikamaru didn't really believe when people said that Neji would never find love, let alone any friends. Of course, though, he was too lazy at the time to try to make Neji his friend.

Before he knew it, he was standing at his front door. He took a deep breath and opened it. 

*Creak* 

He sighed. He really needs to get this door fixed sooner or later, hearing it creak is such a drag. 

His words, not mine.

Lights were on, that's good, and he smelled something delish.

"Neji?" He called out, "You there?" 

"Yeah! I'm in the kitchen!" A familiar voice shouted. Shika sighed and thank the Kami gods it wasn't Tenten nor Temari in his house. "You hungry? Dinner is ready!" 

Shika closed the door, hearing that creak, kicked his shoes off, took off his jacket, and dashed towards the kitchen. 

Neji was sitting at the kitchen table, and in front of him laid beans, spinach, fried rice, and sausage. Shikamaru instantly sat down, more excited than usual. And that extra excitement made Neji blush.

Dear Kami, what did I do to deserve this angel being?

"Oh!" Shikamaru spoke out, grabbing Neji's attention. 

"Yes?"

"Didn't you want to talk to me about something before I left for my lunch break?" If turning redder than Hinata was even humanly possible, Neji broke that record. 

"U-uh, yeah?" Shikamaru raised an eyebrow.

"Well, what did you want to say to me? I'm curious, even if feeling that is such a drag..." Shikamaru playfully rolled his eyes while saying that last part. Neji chuckled a little, making Shika stop dead in his track. He didn't know someone could have such a beautiful chuckle. 

"W-well, I-I..." Fuck, how the hell am I supposed to do this? I thought we Hyuuga's were so good at hiding our feelings when having a crush on someone. 

Well, shit, my pride is out the window. Ok, Neji, you got this, you already kissed him on the head earlier today, there's no turning back.

"I-I, sorry, I'm clearly not good at this." Shikamaru smiled a tad bit. 

"It's ok, take your time, I don't mind, really."

"Well, that makes me more confident then..." Shikamaru's eyes widen a little and slid his chair closer to the table. 

"Shikamaru, ever since we were fifteen, I've felt something special for you. Something... really special." 

Shikamaru looked confused as hell. Who knew the smartest man in Konoha would be this stupid at love?

"I-I just wanted to say that..." A pause and silence filled the air. 

It.

Was.

Uncomfortable.

As hell.

"I've been in love with you since fifteen years of age!" Shikamaru almost (keyword: almost) choked on his fried rice. "There I said it, I'm ridiculously and madly in love with you!" 

Shikamaru's onyx eyes started to fill up with tears. He's never felt this happy in his life. His father always told him in his childhood years that he'd meet someone who would make him the happiest man in the world.

'Son, one day, you'll meet someone who will make you the happiest man in the world. You'll have someone to care and love for you after your mother and I will leave.'

'Ew! Love is such a drag, I don't even know how you even fell in love with Mama!' Shikaku, his father, just chuckled at his young son, who didn't understand love as he does.

'Trust me on this, you'll know what I mean when you grow up.' He winked. 

Shikamaru now knows what his late father meant. Neji makes him want to smile and to laugh. He feels so happy around him. He knows now. 

Father... I know what you mean now. I never thought I'd feel this, but here I am.

Neji panicked when he saw his love about to shed tears from those dazzling onyx eyes. "Shika?! I'm so sorry, am I making you cry, if so, I can leave!" Shika shook his head rapidly. 

"N-no, it's not that." Shika looked up at him. "I've never felt so happy in my life. I'd never even imagined you would love me back. Goddammit Neji, I'm madly in love with you too!" 

Neji tried to process what just came out of Shikamaru's mouth. He blinked once.

He blinked twice. 

He blinked trice. 

"W-wha-" Before he could even finish that word, Shika got up from his seat and tackled Neji to the ground, almost breaking the chair he was sitting in. Neji yelped at the sudden contact.

"Y-you l-love me back?!" He felt Shika's head nod rapidly.

"You don't know how much I love you, Neji!" At this point, both Shika and Neji started crying tears of happiness. 

They felt happy. 

Neji never thought he'd find friends, let alone love. That's what everyone, even at one point Hinata said to him his whole life. Yet, here he was, surrounded by friends and being cuddled by his lover.

Shikamaru always felt pressured since everyone wanted him to know everything. Neji was patient with him and tried to figure things out himself, not wanting to pressure Shikamaru. He loved that about him. He never thought he'd find someone who would love him for him. Yet, here he was, being cuddled back by his lover. 

Shika mentally thanked his father. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh. My. God. *sniffles* I just wrote something so... fluffy and gorgeous. 

Hey, I'm been having writer's block a lot lately, BUT I am certainly not giving up on this story! I've gotten so far!