~Chapter 29: Admirable, Really~

A bit of a short chapter, but I'm going to try to update again tonight or maybe tomorrow. #lotsoflove.

Kalysta still didn't know what was going on as the men moved quickly around her to prepare the ship. The sails were pulled up to the crossbeams by a system of ropes that she couldn't fathom. Watching the men who climbed the masts and lines was terrifying because they seemed to float up effortlessly, as if the heights they reached meant nothing to them.

She watched them for a moment, then took advantage of the return of some state of balance to work on restoring her health. It took her a minute of struggling with the bolt and hatch leading belowdecks, but she eventually was able to open it and go down the ladder. She left the hatch open to allow visibility as she went to the bags outside her room.

There was still some food left, hard, crusted bread and dried cheese. Ordinarily, this would be the epitome of disgusting to her, but after so long without substantial food it looked heavenly. Her first urge was to eat all of it as quickly as possible. However, logic won and instead she took alternating bites of bread and cheese, slowly, chewing deliberately and washing it down with water from her flask. She was amazed at how thirsty she was as well. Soon, she was simply drinking, having set aside the remaining food.

"Princess?"

She turned. Zayn had stepped down the ladder and she'd been too preoccupied to notice.

"Take care with how quickly you eat," he said. "Eating too swiftly with an irritated stomach can produce similar results as the tossing of the ship."

"I've been careful," she replied. "Am I able to get more water?" Again, her pride told her to stay silent, but she was still parched.

"Give me a moment." He went back up the ladder and disappeared.

He didn't take long.

"There's no more water in the stock barrels," he said as he climbed back down to join her.

She sighed.

He moved around the crates toward her, reaching inside his vest to remove an object. When he got to her held it out. It was his own flask.

"Why are you giving me this?" she asked, looking at it in his hand.

"I'm going ashore and will be able to get water easily," he answered. "You, however, won't be getting any more until late tonight. You have more need of it than I do."

She had hoped that she would stop being surprised by him at some point. Her surprise now was coupled with gratitude. It seemed that every interaction she had with this man was going to force her to change another rooted assumption, make her see him more as a man and less and less as her enemy alone.

"I can't take your personal flask," she protested. "I am grateful, but won't you need it?"

"Tell me you aren't afraid of it having been at my mouth," he sighed.

"Actually, no," she said, unhappy at the thought that she hadn't considered that protestation first. "It just seems wrong to take a sailor's source of fresh water." In reality, she didn't want to be beholden to him more than she already was. Only now was she realizing just how much of a debt she would owe this man.

"Take the flask," he urged. "I'll want it back, but you can use it for now."

She reached out and took it, careful not to let their hands touch, for what reason she couldn't comprehend.

"You can move about freely," he said next. "You won't have to be trapped down here as you were before.

"With that in mind, there are some places I would... caution you to avoid."

"They are?..."

"I would ask you to stay out of the crew's portion belowdecks," he said. "None would dare harm you, but there is no reason for you to be there, and the men are not all equipped to handle discussing things with a noble, and a Princess even less so. They would not mean offense or harm, but may deliver it regardless. I would prevent this. The galley, the kitchen, too, should also be avoided."

She nodded, wondering just how crude sailors were if he did not want her around them entirely.

"Would you prefer that I do not speak to the men as a whole?" she asked.

"Not necessarily." He looked uneasy for a moment. "If they approach you, then by all means you may converse as you see fit. That man can hold himself accountable. I simply ask that you take care. It would ease my mind some while I am off the ship."

"I promise to do my best."

"I believe that's all that can be done," he affirmed.

He stood looking at her. It was slightly unnerving, because the crinkling and widening of his eyes showed various emotions drifting across his mind. She stared back, sensing that this was almost becoming a battle of wills.

"Until later," he offered, nodding and turning to go up the ladder.

Once he was out of sight she released her breath and wondered if she would ever understand him.

Zayn's POV

It was fascinating that she still held her air of royalty and sophistication when she was paler than the moon and wearing men's clothes. Admirable, really.

A/N: It's not what you're used to but maybe vote/comment anyway??? Love you all so much!

~Kari~