~Chapter 24: Incendiary Insults~

A/N:

Since you all seemed to like Zayn's POV last time, I decided there would be another chapter of him, because I like his POV as much as you guys, if not more. Also, tomorrow is Zayn's 22nd b-day, so happy birthday to him and all that. Maybe a double update? ;) this chapter also serves to develop the plot, since, as you might remember, he is still in the Royal City while Kalysta and Louis were headed to the ship.

Dedication to Nialls_obsession because she voted on every chapter and commented almost as much! So encouraging! Made me update even sooner than I thought I would! :D

I see everyone's votes and comments and I try to reply! I love you all and can't thank you enough! Seriously! Best people in t world!

Zayn's POV

Irresponsible, absurd, feckless, careless, imprudent. He could just imagine all of the things that would be said of him in the future when this whole plan imploded. All of this because some cogent, strong woman had convinced him to discard his well-thought, fool-proof plans. It was going to be simple; he would arrange the marriage of the Princess and Niall and this would give him the time, amidst the convolutions of politics, to draft war councils with the other nations. They had been loath to dedicate themselves to his cause, but his friendship with Louis meant that Wolvecaster was close, and if he could break through to Cheshire then he'd have enough sway to convince Velia.

He sat at the desk in his room, sleep eluding him. If this all went wrong, he would be to blame for it and Dalitrise could be at stake.

He ran a hand through his hair forcefully. It wouldn't be the first time a man had fallen prey to a woman's pretty face and smile, but such things weren't for men in his position who had so much to lose. The way she had looked at him could make any man lose his wits. On the whole, it wasn't a horrible thing to try. He had been going to do the same thing himself, persuade the rulers to join him, but there was a lot more that could go wrong with her involved.

After sitting, pondering, for another hour, he lay down on his bed, fully clothed, and waited for the sun to rise.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Shouting in the hallways made him sit up in bed. He stood quickly and dressed in fresh, unwrinkled clothing. With Louis gone, he didn't have anyone to lay out an outfit so he hoped this was suitable for the coming events.

He stepped out of the room and watched as everyone scurried around the hallways, servants, guards, and nobles.

"I beg your pardon, miss," he said, stopping a maid, "but could you tell me what's going on? There seems to be something wrong."

"There's been an upheaval in the Royal Family's sector of the castle," she breathed quickly. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go. I shouldn't be seen talking to you and the Queen will be needing me."

She scampered away and he walked in the opposite direction.

"Ambassador," a voice called.

He stopped and looked to see another of his men, Mahir, running toward him.

"What's the problem, Zayn?" Mahir asked when he got closer. "There's something happening with King Jonathan. I tried to get closer to that portion of the castle, but I was turned away. And where's Tommo?"

"I'll get to the bottom of it," Zayn answered, ignoring the question about Louis and turning and striding down the hallway.

Mahir followed in silence

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Zayn took the path to the council chambers, not really sure the best way to find the king. He knew that King Jonathan was going to be in dire straits at the disappearance of his heir.

When they arrived, guards stood outside the door, looking serious and official.

"I beg your pardon, gentlemen," Zayn said, approaching them. "Would you be able to inform me of the whereabouts of your king? There's been much uproar in the castle and I would determine that there is no disruption of the progress we've made in negotiations."

"I'm sorry, Ambassador," one of the men replied, "but the king is in a closed meeting with his advisors."

Zayn sighed. Time to put on face to save the king from himself.

"Oh is that so?" Zayn asked snidely. "Well, I think you should just remind your king that anytime my father wishes, this entire nation can be turned into rubble. If you deflect me again, I will be the first to recommend such action to my father. Now, take me to your king."

The other man turned and stepped into the chambers.

"Your Highness," Zayn heard him say, "my profuse apologies for interrupting, but the Ambassador of Mullingar has insisted upon meeting with you at this time."

"Oh, send him in," the king's voice echoed from inside.

"Wait for me, Mahir," Zayn said, brushing past the guard and stepping into the council chambers.

"Yes, Ambassador," the king started without delay, "I am aware that you've perceived the upheaval, but I don't have time for your threats. I have much bigger complications to sort out, so I beg that you take your leave."

"Your Majesty, need I remind you that I speak for my father?" Zayn warned. "You do not want him for an enemy, and you are already close to it, so I pray that you include me. Avoiding war is to both of our benefits." He kept silent for a moment, taking in the king's appearance. The ruler was unkempt, without his crown, and looked haggard. Yes, a missing daughter could do that to a man.

"The upheaval is due to the fact that my daughter has been brought down by a deep illness. A maid who serves her has already fallen dead from this disease, so we know it can be fatal. We have been discussing the options before us, and I hoped to have a proposition ere you became aware, but the gods had other plans. Since you are here, I can tell you only that moving forward with this marriage proposal would be folly when my daughter's fate is so... precarious."

"You would call off the treaty?" Zayn asked, feigning anger.

"What more can be done?" the king breathed. "I cannot put forward a proper marital treaty when my daughter is unable to attend."

"Is that so?" Zayn harried, "because the idea was brought forward and agreed upon without her knowledge or consent."

The king looked as if he'd been slapped for a moment before true anger settled in. His eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. However, Zayn couldn't help making a few more affronts.

"For all your talk of women having a better place here in Elysium, you're still willing to sell your daughter without the slightest worry, and despite her absence," Zayn continued.

"Listen, you young welp!" the king hissed, slamming his fist on the table, "Murdoch does not run Elysium yet, so you can keep your opinions of my rule inside that entitled mouth of yours."

"Tut, tut, King Jonathan," Zayn admonished, working to provoke the king more. He knew this had to look good. He needed the king to insult him enough that he could pretend to leave in an extreme rage. "That's no way to speak to a representative of the most powerful man in Dalitrise."

Jonathan scoffed. "Without the surety of my daughter's safety, I care nothing for your father and his politics! I will take the consequences of my tongue, but I won't stand for a bastard of a mad king telling me what I can and cannot do! Take all that back to Murdoch, you unlicked cub, and the both of you be hanged!"

It seemed the king had finally discovered his backbone.

Zayn continued to exude anger and pride. Standing taller, he didn't utter a word, but turned and exited, slamming the door behind him. That finality preserved his front as the angry, selfish, cruel ambassador, son of Murdoch. Now, he could travel back to the coast and discover if the Princess was as capable as she assumed.

"Come, Mahir, we go back to the Partheos. This fool has just signed away the lives of Elysium."

Whoa! What's gotten into King Jonathan? Hmm???

Comment! Tell me your thoughts! I'm hoping to update once more before I head back to school!

COMMENT! VOTE!

Love you all and thank you!