~Chapter 83: Better Man~

Hey guys. This... was a tough one for me to write. However, the details in it are necessary. You'll see why in the upcoming chapters. I'm trying to update as quickly as possible so I don't torture you all too much 😬 but please just bear with me. It WILL be worth it in the end.

Shoutout to some new readers who have been voting a lot on this: Joycelynn_ Jjuuv98 Hidayalmran cute_pixie zaynie_zquad  HagarEmad  madeeharahman. These are just a few people who have started a recent hash of voting on my story and WELCOME! 😁😘

For everyone who is voting regularly, I see you and I love you and it makes me so f.uc.king happy to see the votes. Thanks for hanging with me this long. It means SO much.

The video is a song ("Already Written" by Justin Garner) I played while writing this because it reminded me of Zalysta. I'm pretty sure the song is about a breakup, but it still sorta fits. Play it if you want. It may or may not work. These links aren't cooperating like I want 🙄

On the way back to her rooms, Kalysta ran into Mahir, literally. They collided in the hallway and he caught her before she could fall off balance. It reminded her of when they were on the Partheos and he'd caught her.

"Oh, excuse me, Your Highness," Mahir said quietly. "I beg your pardon."

Kalysta looked around quickly. There was a servant walking away from them at the end of the corridor. She waited until they were alone in the area.

"Listen, Mahir, and listen closely, because we don't have much time," she hissed, gripping his arm tightly. "Niall has convicted Zayn of treason."

"I knew something was wrong when Zayn didn't contact me for more than a day," Mahir groaned, then swore.

"Niall has him in the dungeons and I need your help."

"Princess, I don't know about you, but I don't have enough trustworthy men with me to stage a rescue."

"No, not help in that way. Not yet at least."

"What then?"

"I need you to find Louis and tell him what's happened. Niall plans on having Zayn hanged in three days. I have no one to send to reach him."

"How can I find him in time? Three days?!" Mahir ran a hand across his beard and puffed out a breath.

"Zayn said they were in Velia last, trying to persuade Thomas again. Check there first."

"I can't make it in time!"

"Go to the Pips and Pints, the inn in the city. The keeper, William, will help you. Tell him that Miss Lady Lyra sent you and that you need Starling. That was the horse I rode on our trip. He's a good horse, a fast horse. He'll get you to Etharia as fast as is possible. We'll just have to pray that Louis is still there."

Several nobles rounded the corner with their servants, headed toward her and Mahir.

"Just do it," she whispered, and walked away.

She hid in her rooms after that. She wasn't technically required to do anything until the banquet that evening anway. Being out of her room wasn't good for her. Emotionally, she couldn't deal with Niall constantly antagonizing her. It was better to give him fewer chances.