~Chapter 61: Missed Simplicity~

Alright, how much do you love me? Three updates in one sitting and it's not even a special occasion! Lol. I hope this makes up for the several month drought I've been giving you guys with very few updates. Again, things aren't so rosy for them right now, but that's life. It is what it is. Yin and yang, there are two sides to everything. 

"How could you do this!" she shrieked the minute the door was closed. "I trusted you! I trusted you!" This last was aimed at Zayn who was still rubbing his cheek. "What on earth could you accomplish by keeping this from me? What was your ploy? Was this entire thing a farce? Answer me, you abominable pricks!"

"Princess, calm yourself," Louis hushed. "This isn't the time or place to discuss it either."

"Oh, I think it's just grand, you swine. I'm not going anywhere with you until I hear what in the name of the gods possessed you to think this was a good idea!"

"I made Louis and Mahir keep silent on the matter," Zayn confessed quietly. He was sufficiently subdued from her blow.

It occurred to her that perhaps she should hit Louis as well and make him more cooperative.

"That's simply excellent, Ambassador," she snapped. "I'm glad to know you're the mastermind behind the deceit. I'm quite comforted." She turned and kicked the chair over. It wasn't nearly satisfying, though, for the chair simply thudded to the floor without nearly the noise and dramatic excess she desired. Looking at Zayn gave her some delight, though, for her handprint was clearly defined on his cheek.

"I shouldn't have kept it from you, and for that I apologize," Zayn admitted, "but I feared this exact reaction. If you had known of the suspicions we had for your father then it would have crippled you long before now."

"Why would you not tell me before I went to Thomas?" She was quieter now, feeling more of the hurt of the secret.

"I-I'm not sure." Zayn ran his hands through his hair anxiously. "There never seemed a good time to tell you. This wasn't easy news to deliver, no matter the time or place. I'm sorry."

"That's a coward's plea," she hissed, anger rearing its ugly head once more. "I can't believe you let me stumble around like your lackey, just allowing me to make a fool of myself in front of every.single.ruler. It's a wonder they even let me speak with that weighing in on their opinion of me. Damn you both."

"I-" Zayn tried to speak, but she cut him off.

"Save it, Ambassador!" she yelled. "I don't want to hear it anymore! Take me back to your blasted ship and take me home. I'll deal with this in my own way. I don't want any other help from you on this matter." She turned and strode from the room.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

They caught up, but stayed silent, walking slightly ahead of her so as to make it appear that Zayn was still in charge. That horrible man wasn't in charge of anything anymore as far as she was concerned. He couldn't be trusted to level with her on something so important and that was proof enough that he had no issue holding things back from her. What else was he keeping from her?

It was no matter. She would do things her own way now. She would marry Niall. That was the only option left to her. Marrying Niall, as repulsive an idea as it was, provided her the only escape from war with Mullingar and Bradford. No other choice could be gleaned.

They found Mahir quickly.

"H-how did things go?" Mahir wasn't the brightest, but even he should have been able to sense the mood of the group.

"How do you suppose it went?" Kalysta snapped. "We're headed back to the ship and I'm going home where I can be rid of the lot of you."

Mahir caught on promptly and led them to where they had stowed the horses.