~Chapter 3: Birthday Sparring~

And so, the drama begins 😉

Ambassador Zayn seated himself in Franklin's now-vacant chair as servants began clearing away the presents that had compiled and replacing them with plates and eating utensils. Kalysta supposed that the rest of her gifts would be accepted without her.

"We were informed that you would be arriving later this month, ambassador," her father stated conversationally, draping his napkin across his lap. "Did your travels go better than expected?"

"My dealings with King Thomas and Velia took less time than previously planned," the man supplied. "I was also eager to get here and begin our diplomatic sparring."

"You think the negotiations will turn into sparring?" her father said carefully. She could hear the edge in his voice, but he did not look at the Ambassador since the servants had begun placing the food in front of them.

"My father wants your country, and you don't want to give it up," the ambassador replied crassly. "I think it's safe to assume that this will turn into verbal contention at some point."

Her father's sharp inhale warned her to step in.

"Gentlemen," she hissed quietly, leaning forward to bring the ambassador in view, "this may not seem like an important detail, but this is a birthday party, mine in fact, and political matters should be set aside. We're here to celebrate, not argue, particularly not in front of the general populace. I suggest we remain cordial in the public sphere and start the, what was it?" She paused. "Oh yes, start the 'sparring' when we are in a more appropriate setting."

She leaned back as a servant sliced a portion of roast pork onto her plate and another drizzled over it with trimmings.

"Are all women allowed to speak their mind like this here?" the ambassador asked, his voice conversational and light, despite the effrontery if his words. "Where I am from a woman speaks when spoken to. And she doesn't deign to advise men."

"Well, this isn't where you come from," her mother, Queen Fayette, replied sharply. "We are all equal here. You may berate and belittle your mothers and daughters and sisters and aunts in Mullingar, but not here. You'll respect us as you respect our men."

"Just one of the many... differences that can be discussed in our negotiations," the ambassador replied evenly, gently cutting the food in front of him.

"And that discussion will be later, after we've had pleasant, non-politically charged table conversation," Kalysta said forcefully.

The ambassador chuckled. "Very well then, since we're not discussing politics, how have your lands fared with the increase of banditry seen along the borders? I can't imagine the 'general populace' has been very pleased with that."

"Trade has increased dramatically over the last few years, so crime can be expected to follow it. More trade goods mean more profit and there are always people looking to make a profit they haven't earned." She looked at him to see his response to this, and was displeased to see a smirk cross his face before he schooled it into a look of apathy.

"Yes, I'm sure that's all that's happening." The ambassador's voice still displayed his amusement, even if his face didn't.

Her father coughed. "We've taken the banditry in hand."

"I only ask because I know it has to have been hard for Elysium these recent years, unable to build a standing military." The ambassador's voice was irritatingly offhand.

"Perhaps you're deaf, Ambassador," Kalysta snapped. "Our military standing would fall under political discussion. Or perhaps you're incapable of following simple instruction?"

"Kalysta!" her mother spouted, horrorstruck.

"No, Your Highness, that's quite alright," the ambassador chuckled. "Children tend to speak their mind at times without a thought to the consequences. I take no offense."

She rolled her eyes. By Mullingar's standards, she technically was still a child, adulthood there was considered to begin at twenty years of age. It didn't matter though. She'd show him that, woman or child, she would keep up with his every asinine comment, his every attempt to undermine her confidence.

"Oh, that's adorable," she simpered. "Clearly being an adult doesn't help you know how to speak properly, my Lord Ambassador. You're two years into your adulthood and still talking out of your ass."

The ambassador choked on his wine for a second.

"I do believe that you have things to be about, Kalysta?" her father spoke up next, attempting to head her off before her temper really came into play.

"Yes, I believe so as well," she growled, pushing her chair back and standing. This ambassador, while captivating at first, made her want to pull her hair out. "I will be available to meet in the council chambers at half past seven, father. Mother, I look forward to our work later tonight. Enjoy the rest of your meal, Ambassador, and do try not to choke to death on your wine." This last line was conveyed as scathingly as possible before she made her way down from the dais and out of the dining hall. She'd pay for it later, but oh, it felt good right now... That stupid prick had another thing coming if he thought she was a child to be dismissed so easily... another thing coming indeed.

A/N: As always, drop a comment and let me know what you think! I really hope you guys can give me some feedback!