~Chapter 92: Fits and Smiles~

How much do you love me??? 😁 Two updates in less than a week!! And this is a big one!! Hope you like it! There are a lot of things happening in this one so if you hate it I'm sorry 🙈. There's also a lot of lead up to big stuff next chapter!

Recap: The second momentous occurrence was the announcement that Mullingan troops were moving from the capitol toward Elysium.

"Louis, what's the news?" Kalysta asked, stepping into the council chambers.

"Well, Murdoch certainly isn't hiding," Thomas called from where he was leaning over maps. "Our spies sent word that a force of Mullingan troops left the capitol two days ago. Good news for us, they can't travel at nearly the rate our messengers can. Based on the terrain and season, I'd give us two weeks, assuming they march all day and take short breaks at night. They'll probably take longer, but I want to be safe."

"I asked Louis, not you," Kalysta pointed out.

"He's right," Louis chimed in. When she glanced at him he gave her a searching look that told her he knew her open secret and was debating whether or not to mention it.

She shook her head at him and he nodded before looking back at the maps.

"I don't believe a war council is the place for you, Princess, since you're not supposed to be under stress," her father voiced, crossing his arms and failing in his attempt not to look petulant. "Stress is dangerous for an expecting woman."

He'd done it. He'd really done it.

Louis looked weary, Thomas was purposefully not looking at her, and the rest of the room was staring at her avidly.

"I believe it's up to me to decide what causes me stress, not you, King Jonathan," she responded coolly.

"Princess, as much as I agree with you, none of us wants to put your child at risk," Louis sighed. "I can't, and won't, tell you what to do, but it is my humble request that you make yourself scarce. I'll be sure to send you regular reports on what is going on and welcome any notes of input that you send in return."

Kalysta fought hard to keep the sneer off her face, but she allowed herself the disparaging, "You spiteful child," as she passed her father on the way out the door. He would get his way, but that didn't mean she was totally powerless.

She'd have more time to sit with Zayn now, if she could bring herself to keep something from him. Oh, it was only a matter of time before he got the news, a short matter of time, but she had no idea how to broach the subject.

"Princess?" a girl called out, approaching her. Kalysta recognized her as one of the younger nurses who worked in the infirmary. "I was told to come fetch you. They're going to be moving the Ambassador."

"What?" Kalysta snapped. "Under whose authority?"

"Just follow me," the girl said. "Everything will be explained there."

Kalysta did, hurrying the pace as much as she could. If her father tried anything...

As it turned out, her fears were ungrounded. The real reason to move him was overpopulation of the infirmary. When they arrived, the long room of beds was fully occupied with people, insomuch that her entrance was barely noticed.

She rushed over to Zayn's bed, dodging children, and stepped inside the curtains.

"It's insane out there," she breathed.

"I can hear that, actually," Zayn commented, his hoarse voice holding a teasing note.

The physician, Adam, came in. "You got my message, then?" he puffed, looking a bit overwhelmed.